Looking for a replacement to Green Star Polyps - What do you think?

alittlemark

The GSP appeals to me because it provides a lot of movement in the tank, it looks pretty (IMO), it seems to grow quickly, it is readily available, and it is hardy. I have never owned the stuff, so this is just what I have heard.

At the same time, pretty much everyone is in agreement that GSP is to be avoided (except for the stores that sell it).

So what are we to do when we want a hardy groundcover-type coral that will add movement to the tank and look nice?

Can you keep it on a separate rock on the sand bed? It doesn't travel across sand.

I have GSP in my main tank. It's about 3 square inches on my largest rock. It doesn't grow very fast, and I scrape it back if it starts to encroach other corals. I have to do this maybe every month and a half. No big deal to me.

I don't think GSP is all that horrendous. I've got a couple bits of it in my 55 and it's being quite nice. it wouldn't be that hard to trim, either. I've known of people (islandoftiki included) that get it growing on the back glass of the tank to make a gsp-back and really like it. If no other rock touches the glass and you have a sand bottom (DSB or SSB), it will stay on the glass (may start to wrap around the sides, but that's trim-able too.

I (personally) wouldn't be afraid of GSP, it'd be way better than blue clove polyps or something

I don't think GSP is all that horrendous. I've got a couple bits of it in my 55 and it's being quite nice. it wouldn't be that hard to trim, either. I've known of people (islandoftiki included) that get it growing on the back glass of the tank to make a gsp-back and really like it. If no other rock touches the glass and you have a sand bottom (DSB or SSB), it will stay on the glass (may start to wrap around the sides, but that's trim-able too.

I (personally) wouldn't be afraid of GSP, it'd be way better than blue clove polyps or something

There are different varieties of GSP, too. Try to get a frag from someone who has some that is known to be non-invasive.

Hehe... blue clove polyps. Got those in the pest tank, too. Let's see them try to fight it out with the majanos and aiptasia!

They look really cool on the back wall of the tank. I highly recommend that approach.

There are different varieties of GSP, too. Try to get a frag from someone who has some that is known to be non-invasive.

Hehe... blue clove polyps. Got those in the pest tank, too. Let's see them try to fight it out with the majanos and aiptasia!

They look really cool on the back wall of the tank. I highly recommend that approach.

My monely is on the blue cloves (brick)

I have some and it does grow pretty fast but I have not found it to be a problem. Just keep it isolated and enjoy. If you decide not get the GSP some of the LPS corals have great movement to them as well. I love my hammer and frogspawn, they wave back and forth in the current. Its almost hipnotic.

For price I have seen anywhere from free to $60 for a small chunck. I can't belive how much some places want for coral that grows like a weed.

Green star polyps are nice looking but they can overgrow the tank. Have you considered sympodium. To me it is an interesting coral and it is a cross between xenia and clove polyps. The think I like about it is it stays localized. Here's a picture of some frags I had for sale. I really like the look of it.

DSC00973ARW.jpg

Green star polyps are nice looking but they can overgrow the tank. Have you considered sympodium. To me it is an interesting coral and it is a cross between xenia and clove polyps. The think I like about it is it stays localized. Here's a picture of some frags I had for sale. I really like the look of it.

DSC00973ARW.jpg