Tek light problem

siskiou

So, after my MH light going out on the 60G, the 8 lamp Tek light on my 120G is following in its footsteps!(flame)

Up until 5 minutes ago, it was fine. Now the outside set of T5s keeps trying to fire, but they never fully come on. Just a flash every few seconds.

Does anyone have any ideas what it could be? Ballast?

Are they easy to replace?

I really don't need this right now!

Does anyone want to buy some nice rics? Or AOG zoas? Or a Ponape birdsnest frag? A nice chalice frag? Leathers?

Or a 24x24x24 tank/stand/hood/sump/skimmer/return pump/HOB overflow/all plumbing setup?

My reef account is empty. (sad)

I should say I am not an electrician however when I get a maint request for a flourescent light missfiring I go in with 2 new bulb and a ballast. I change out the bulbs one at a time if that does not solve the problem I change the ballast. =)

Thanks! I will give it a try, switching out bulbs one at a time!

Switched out all four with new bulbs, but they still don't fire all the way. I guess it's the ballast, then?

Any suggestions for a replacement (4 54w HO bulbs)?

If it is a 4 bulb TEK light, then it may have two ballasts. One for each pair of bulbs (inside pair and outside pair). I know that in my 6x54w fixture, the inside 4 bulbs are one one ballast, and the outside two are on a separate ballast (and switch).

Take the light apart to get at the ballasts. Remove the ballast and read all the numbers and such that describe it. Then take it to a home improvement/electronic store (home depot, ACE hardware, or other place that sells lighting) and show them the ballast and ask if they have something that is exactly the same (or close enough). If they don't, then ask them where they would go to find something like it. Repeat until you find something that works.

dsoz

I have a workhorse 7 lying around!

It's definitely a ballast problem. Good bulbs turned bad, and vice versa (thanks for the idea!).

Now I just have to take the fixture down and see where the ballasts are, and if the workhorse fits where the original ballast is situated.

Has anyone here opened up a Tek light and give me a hint where to start?

I took one apart to replace the endcaps. Start with the screws on the top and the sides. On mine they were a square head driver. Then take out the sides, then the reflector... From there I would just treat it like a puzzle and remember how everything goes back together.

Good luck :)

dsoz

Darn, you are right about the square head screws! Will have to dig through the tool drawer to find a matching screwdriver!

Thanks for the "taking apart" hints!

Edited to add:

So, the taking apart was easy! On mine, I only had to take out the screws holding on the reflector, and that was it.

But now I'm stuck, and electrical is so not my expertise.

Looking at the wiring on the old ballast, and the workhorse 7, I don't think I can use it, or at least not in the same way the old ballast is wired.

One side of the workhorse only has a white and a black wire exiting from on "port" (going to the plug, I assume), while the old ballast has a whole bunch of cables exiting from two "ports" on both sides.

Are there any electricians here who might want to help. I can pay in ricordia!

Yes! Halleluja! The new ballast works! Now I just have to put the fixture back together and I'm only out 45 bucks in materials! :)

32893d62-e6fb-b5af.jpg

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

Isn't it sad that I have to send pics via my phone? It's so much trouble uploading them from the computer, with the size never the correct one!

Archived