Breakout box for Apex.

Nate213

Put together a breakout box for my Apex tonight. Can't take any credit for the design as I just duplicated what others have already done. I did use a smaller box than most of the DIY threads I have seen. I think it turned out nice. The only thing I'd do differently is use a black cord so it matches better. Here are a few photos.

576f83cf.jpg

4b71a0a3.jpg

e507a58a.jpg

Looks great-whats it do or control?

I have an APEX as well am curious if it is something I would have a need for.

TIA

Thanks. You can connect just about any continuity type switch to it. I'm going to use it for float switches and eventually a Water Bug. You can also use for push button switches to initiate feedings or pump modes, or hook it up to door switches to turn on / off lights.

• 4 weeks later...
The breakout box is only 40 bucks. how much was the parts to make this?

Less than $20 and maybe an hour of time. For me it wasn't about saving the money. I'm not a fan of the spring close type connections that the Neptune box uses. I find them unreliable and it is too easy for the wires to fall out. I also like that the DIY box is much smaller and can be sealed to prevent moisture issues.

• 2 months later...

That looks great! Where did you get the parts to make this? I have been looking everywhere for a mini din 8 connector. I can't seem to find one here in Eugene. Also I see you only have 6 plugs. What are you doing for the other two? I know pin number 7 is reserved but what about pin number 8 (ground)?

That looks great! Where did you get the parts to make this? I have been looking everywhere for a mini din 8 connector. I can't seem to find one here in Eugene. Also I see you only have 6 plugs. What are you doing for the other two? I know pin number 7 is reserved but what about pin number 8 (ground)?

eBay is where I got mine - cheap too. 1-6 are used , pin 7 not used and 8 is gnd so only 6 plugs are needed

Wannareef is correct about the pins. I got most of the parts from Radio Shack, but it is probably less expensive to buy off eBay or Amazon. I got the mini din off Amazon. It was under $3 and I had free Prime shipping.

So Nate' date=' what did you do with the ground?[/quote']

Here are a couple of photos of the inside while I was putting it together. The ground is pin # 8 which was the purple wire on the cable I purchased. For the jacks I used a larger diameter wire as the common ground. It is the black wire in the photos. The purple wire is soldered to the common ground.

b95f1602.jpg

5c9f4c3a.jpg

A better set of instructions is in the Apex New User manual pages 118-121:

Http://reeftech.webs.com/Apex New User Guide.pdf

Gill

This is the IO breakout box from Neptune

bobox.jpg

Those white spring loaded attachment points usually break off and your stuck without a "spot" to use. This is used on the Apex controller or any Neptune controller with a mini din connector

din8.jpg

Thus you can add float "switches" of any and all kinds to the controller to control ATO, water alarm ect...

hth

post-77-141867762224_thumb.jpg

post-77-141867762225_thumb.jpg

Ok, I have gotten all the parts from Radio Shack to make the break out box. I have my 8 pin mini din cable ordered. One question tho, how are you going to connect the float switch to the plug? Are you going to put both wires from the float switch on the same tab on the connector? I guess that would be right because in one position the switch will break the connection and in the other position it will make the connection. Am I correct or am I missing something?

One question tho' date=' how are you going to connect the float switch to the plug? Are you going to put both wires from the float switch on the same tab on the connector? [/quote']

No they don't go on the same tab. One wire goes on the ground and the other on the positive. Doesn't matter which one goes where but they need to be separate.

• 3 years later...
  • 2 months later...

That's cool!  What an ancient cable, recycle program is a great place to find them.  I was paying 8 shipped off of amazon, ebay is a good tip.

I started using patch panels and ethernet cables because they are so modular, clean and available reasonably priced (although not this cheap).  A few more bucks but it is so nice to plug/unplug things

Thanks for sharing.