Looks like it's my turn to be robbed

racefan

I came home from work today & stopped at the bottom of the driveway to get the mail & noticed the front door was wide open. My first thought (yes I do jump to conclusions) was that somehow my wife had her hands full & did not shut the front door all the way & it came open.So as I'm mumbling about how can you not shut the door? I notice it's been kicked in! I rushed in the house thinking "oh crap I bet they bashed the fish tanks!" no it was worse!!! they had the audacity to not only take the TV's but to go downstairs & take my flat screen!!!!!!!!! The house looks like a bomb went off, drawers open, clothes dumped out, etc. somehow they missed my wife's pearl necklace & earrings! So all in all they only got two flat screen TV's about $50.00 in change & one Vicodin pain pill I had left. I sincerely hope when they take it they choke & die a slow & painful agonizing death in the gutter. What really fry's me is about 2 months ago we met with our insurance agent & she said " you have not had a homeowners claim in 30 years. If you want to save money you can raise your deductible from $500.00 to $1000.00" Just my luck! (laugh)

Oh no!!! I'm so sorry this happened Mike! As you know Beth and I have been there!! It sucks!! Sounds like they didn't get much! You may notice other things down the road. We had a 1000 dollar deductible too but since the jewelry the losers stole was over the 2500 dollar mark we didn't have to pay it. You may want to strongly consider closimg out your credit cards and changing your checking account. They somehow got our credit info and got our checking account info because they stole our mail!! Its also just a sick feeling that some slimeballs were in your house!! Sadly this seems to be happening more. It is funny like me one of your first fears was damage to the tank! People be safe. Get an alarm. Get a dog. At least get a sign that says you have an alarm. Don't think it can't happen in your neighborhood.

Im so sorry to hear this, unfortunately its seems to be going around (flame). and yes I hope the chock on the pills

+2 on the dog. My sweet lab / healer mix is so nice and kind...unless you knock on the door or try to come in when she doesn't know you. Then this lap puppy shows two inch fangs and makes a low growl that would make the devil jump.

I hope they catch the bastards.

super aweful...this really does seem to be 'going around' it was us in december, then Kim and Beth, now you. really aweful. Not to thread jack, but We just found out our guy is in jail. he left a glove in the backyard which matched a DNA record. then they found him in a neighbooring county jail pending other burglary charges. I hope everyone else's break-ins end with arrests too!

We had a 1000 dollar deductible too but since the jewelry the losers stole was over the 2500 dollar mark we didn't have to pay it.

Kim, This makes it sound like once you reach the deductible amount it's waived? (I'm new to this) We have ADT signs & window stickers. The Deputy figured that the crooks assumed that the alarm company had sent them & the police were en route and that's why they only took the two TV's & the cash. They left 2 laptops, (although my wife's had the cord all rolled up,sitting on top, they just left it) an acoustic guitar, several things that would have been easy to grab. He (cop) said they run in go straight to the Master Bedroom looking for Jewelry & firearms then grab expensive TV's & go. It looks like they probably were in & out in less than 5 minutes.

The problem with ADT is that cops don't respond as quickly b/c the likelihood of it being a mistake is higher. If you go with a company that monitors via audio/video, the cops respond much quicker. This happened to me awhile back and be careful, b/c my robbers came back the next day and broke in a back window b/c they saw what they didn't get! Sorry to hear about this, it's never fun to be violated!

for me, our ded was $1k, losses were determined to be ~$3k, they sent a check for ~$2k. pretty sure our guys took his time, yet left the TV/Computer, DVD player, wii...he's kinda an idiot apparently.

but I guess most criminals (outside organized crime) are...

Kim' date=' This makes it sound like once you reach the deductible amount it's waived? (I'm new to this) We have ADT signs & window stickers. The Deputy figured that the crooks assumed that the alarm company had sent them & the police were en route and that's why they only took the two TV's & the cash. They left 2 laptops, (although my wife's had the cord all rolled up,sitting on top, they just left it) an acoustic guitar, several things that would have been easy to grab. He (cop) said they run in go straight to the Master Bedroom looking for Jewelry & firearms then grab expensive TV's & go. It looks like they probably were in & out in less than 5 minutes.[/quote']

Oh we just got comcast and I accidentally set it off the first week LOL and they called immediately. Yes since we were well over our 2500 jewelry allotment then they counted it towards the deductible.

about the safe...bolt it down. I didn't want to bolt it to my hardwood floors and didn't come up with another solution. He took the whole thing.

we now have a plan secure it without drilling the floor, I'm happy to share if anyone wants

That's why I don't have a safe. I figured it would tell people hey take this. This is where all the valuables are. I'm curious how you secured it.

It's in a spare room's closet that we use as an office with a big wire shelving unit in the closet. Shelf is too big to fitthrough the door, mist actually be taken apart to get it out. Then bought 2 2x8 boards at HD and cut to the length of the closet (wider than the door). Then put te boards in, under the shelving so its weight is on them, got bolts the proper length to go in the boards and not the floor and bolted it down.

Credit for the idea goes to Lauri (my wife)

that camera idea is a good one. I know people have been casing our place as I find their footprints under the windows in the mulch. I keep the mulch real smooth so I can tell if they stand in it and get paranoid (: One night I scared a guy with a knife off, he was cutting the paint around the windows so it would open easier, they were painted shut. Our front door is metal but I think a couple good kicks and the frame would fail. If I look on Portland Maps I can see half my neighbors have been hit, one totally cleaned out at 5pm on New Years Day while he was home in bed sleeping it off! They took everything, even collectibles. Heirlooms. It kind of sounded personal the things they took. That is kinda scary they could come back, now that they know where things are and that the alarm signs are not a threat. Get a good setup ASAP. Maybe borrow a dog til then?

that camera idea is a good one. I know people have been casing our place as I find their footprints under the windows in the mulch. I keep the mulch real smooth so I can tell if they stand in it and get paranoid (: One night I scared a guy with a knife off, he was cutting the paint around the windows so it would open easier, they were painted shut. Our front door is metal but I think a couple good kicks and the frame would fail. If I look on Portland Maps I can see half my neighbors have been hit, one totally cleaned out at 5pm on New Years Day while he was home in bed sleeping it off! They took everything, even collectibles. Heirlooms. It kind of sounded personal the things they took. That is kinda scary they could come back, now that they know where things are and that the alarm signs are not a threat. Get a good setup ASAP. Maybe borrow a dog til then?

"That's why I don't have a safe. I figured it would tell people hey take this. This is where all the valuables are. I'm curious how you secured it."

My best friend just got robbed and had 5,000 cash in his 10 pound, 2 cubic foot safe. The robbers took his Xbox, projector, TONS of jewelry, and some other techy gadgets....about 8k worth of stuff. Even though they took things near the safe, they didn't touch the safe. If you've ever seen storage wars, they don't get too excited about seeing one.

I find that the best way to hide things is in places that are in plain sight that no one would ever think to look. I'll keep my semi-valuables in the typical hiding places, but keep my REAL valuables in places no one would ever think of as hiding spaces.

that camera idea is a good one. I know people have been casing our place as I find their footprints under the windows in the mulch. I keep the mulch real smooth so I can tell if they stand in it and get paranoid (: One night I scared a guy with a knife off' date=' he was cutting the paint around the windows so it would open easier, they were painted shut. Our front door is metal but I think a couple good kicks and the frame would fail. If I look on Portland Maps I can see half my neighbors have been hit, one totally cleaned out at 5pm on New Years Day while he was home in bed sleeping it off! They took everything, even collectibles. Heirlooms. It kind of sounded personal the things they took. That is kinda scary they could come back, now that they know where things are and that the alarm signs are not a threat. Get a good setup ASAP. Maybe borrow a dog til then?[/quote']

I put one of those game cameras up. I built a bird house & hid it in it. I checked the SD card yesterday & found out I had some unwanted visitors walking up my driveway!..... 2 black & white spotted horned goats(laugh) oh and the PUD meter reader.

Archived