Internal skimmers?

J-Dog

My first issue has arrived and I need everyone's help. My tank stand is going to be 30", while the skimmer I want is 23" tall (Super Reef Octopus XP3000). I just found out that the skimmer needs to be in 6" of water to perform optimally. If the baffle in my sump is 12" high, my water line should be somewhere around 13". That means I would need to raise my skimmer about 7" for it to work properly.....but 7+23=30, and that means I don't have enough room for the skimmer to fit into my stand. What do I do to fix this problem? Do all internal skimmers need to be in such a small water level? Please help (scratch)

Just a thought but couldn't you just take out the stand you have the skimmer elevated on to remove the cup and do maintance. Would be a pain in the @&$ but it would not require you to modify a expencive skimmer.

Are you sure it has to be just 6"?? Or is that the minimum? I have my reef Octopus (same model I think!!) in 11" of water and it performs great!

If I were you I would try it... it it needs to be raised up I bet it won't need to be raised up the full 7".

Are you sure it has to be just 6"?? Or is that the minimum? I have my reef Octopus (same model I think!!) in 11" of water and it performs great!

If I were you I would try it... it it needs to be raised up I bet it won't need to be raised up the full 7".

Oh, I have no idea Beth. I was just going by what the BRS description said about the skimmer. Here is the link if u wanna check it out.....

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/products/protein-skimmers/reef-octopus-protein-skimmers/super-reef-xp3000-internal-sro-xp3000i.html

That would be awesome if I didn't have to raise it up (or just raise it a little). Are skimmers hard to adjust in deeper water?

WOW I must be doing something really wrong.... or right.... currently have my Reef Octopus skimmer with bubble master pump in 11 inches of water, and am skimming perfect skimmate...... Hmmmm IDK what you all are talking about it just keeps overflowing. there is an adjustable gate valve for a reason and i have mine adjusted all the way open and it works just fine.

you could also look into a recirculating mod and using a different pump (or overflow drain) to feed the skimmer. when a skimmer is recirculating, the depth issues go away. not sure how easy/possible a recirc mod to your skimmer is, but worth looking into.

I was wondering about this too as I was looking for a new skimmer as well. Looking at the design of the SROs and some videos as well, it seems that the SROs have a lower internal water level. So if you increase the depth that the skimmer is in, then you take away a portion of the reaction area making your skimmer less efficient or making the reaction area so short that the bubbling would simply overflow no matter what adjustments you make to the gate valve. You could raise the entire skimmer onto a platform, but you probably won't have enough head space in your cabinet to do that. If you really want an SRO, I think your best option would be to lower the level of water in your sump/skimmer area or you might want to look into an external unit.

Archived