Pest tank

Islandoftiki

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I liked the time lapse was wondering if it could be slowed down a tad so we could actualy see the shrimp more then a blur =) Very good looking set up =)

Yep, that was my first try with that app. The delay between frames is totally adjustable. I'll play around with it some more tomorrow if the mantis is active.

Ok, it's crunch time! May 1st is the last day for make any hardware modifications for the competition. One last thing has been annoying me. The light. With the Par30 BoostLED bulb, you can't have a shade over the bulb or it will overheat. The Ikea light I have for it looks unfinished and awkward with the shade removed. I've been thinking about solutions for the past week and a half and just yesterday I came up with an idea.

Amazing what two dollars and fourty-six cents worth of plumbing parts can do to modify the light! That's one of 1 1/4" PVC coupler painted textured black and four o-rings spaced down the length for a somewhat space-age/deco look. It looks really sharp!

Before/After:

C843AFEA.jpg

And that wraps up the hardware on the tank! With days to spare. My friend Chris is coming over tomorrow after work to help me get some professional quality full tank shots and full equipment shots.

So I just moved all my equipment from the biocube i.e. ( the zombie tank) to my new 40 gln and was surprised to find a few aptasia starting to grow in the old tank. I still have all the rock and cleanup crew hanging out over there. I think it will be interesting to see what else pops up without fish to much down on everything. This thread is awesome I read it whenever I'm having a crummy day, always make me laugh. I hope you win. Is there a link we can follow to see the competition and show some support for you?

Ok folks, Tomorrow is the deadline for equipment and hardware changes/additions and modifications for the 3 gallon and under pico contest. The official FTS and FES photos have been posted on Nano-Reef.com for my pest tank. Here they are:

FTS:

FTSApril302012.jpg

FES:

E3C72577.jpg

This is the finalized equipment list for my tank and the current list of livestock. We have until the end of May to add additional livestock. No equipment changes after tomorrow.

Equipment:

Tank: 2 Gallon Fluval Spec AIO.

Heater: Hydor Theo 25 watt.

Pump: Mini-jet 404

Media Racks: Custom made from egg crate and plumbing parts.

Chiller: Iceprobe chiller.

Light: BoostLED Par 30, three Royal Blue, one Cool White and one Neutral White LED.

Light fixture: Ikea Lerstal Floor lamp, shade removed and aesthetically modified with plumbing parts! Base removed and attached to cabinet with U-brackets.

Cabinet: Elite Home Fashions Chesterfield Collection Shelved Floor Cabinet with Glass-Paneled Door, Espresso. Modified for chiller, ventilation, wiring and aesthetics.

Tank controller: Reef Keeper Lite

Filtration: 2lbs live rock, 1/2 unit Chemipure Elite, 2 tablespoons Purigen, Filter floss.

Livestock as of April 30, 2012:

One Gonodactylellus Viridis Mantis Shrimp (AKA: Shadie)

One mexican red leg hermit.

Three dwarf blue leg hermit crabs.

One florida cerith snail.

One small nassarius snail.

Several dwarf cerith snails (AKA: snacks)

Green majanos with red tips (many of them!)

Brown majanos, two varieties.

Huge aiptasia anemones.

Pulsing Xenia

Blue Xenia

Green star polyps

Yellow colony polyps

Blue clove polyps

Common invasive green mushrooms.

Irritatingly heavy growing boring red mushrooms.

Invasive sea-foam green palythoa.

Poop-brown zoanthids.

Poop-brown palythoa.

Bright Green pretty-but-invasive palythoa

Mud brown palythoa

Devils hand leather coral.

Caulerpa macro algae.

Bryopsis.

Some sort of strand algae.

Bubble algae (popped about 30 of those suckers in there!)

So far, growth has been what I would term explosive in comparison to my 10 gallon tank. I'll continue to look for more irritating, ugly or invasive corals to add to the mix over the next month.

I hope you enjoy my little project! I can assure you this is the most fun I've ever had building a tank! For a tank full of unwanted pest corals, it's truly beautiful. As beautiful as even the most expensively stocked aquariums that I've see to date.

Cheers!

Well, from the looks of things, I'll be winning at least one or more of the prizes. There are five categories: Best Overall Pico, Best Aquascape, Most Unique, Best Growth, and Beginners Luck.

Unless the tank crashes or something malfunctions between now and October, I think I got this one in the bag. Here are all of the FTS and FES shots for May 1st (a few may still be coming in later today). This is the date at which no equipment changes may be made. http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?s=&showtopic=298957&view=findpost&p=3849233

Hey, I've still got to the end of the month to finish stocking the pest tank.

A couple of things I'd like to add to fill in some spots, if anybody has some SMALL frags of the following, I'd be interested...

Kenya tree

Oddball weird palys and zoas

Mushroom corals that have grown out of control in your tank.

Anything else you can think of that is annoying or weird that you might have a small frag of.

unreal!

I've got some paly's that look a big like those but mine are more like a dark red with faintly green centers...and Jeramy reports wacky color changes of his frag. anyways, I've seen mine close up on my prolifera as it drifts by and it's just a clear film when they open up...weird!

Ok, so the xenia was entrapped by two palys and got free from one and was working on getting loose from the other when it got trapped by yet another paly. Hehe. Poor xenia. I think it's throwing down a little chemical warefare right now. Some of the mushrooms are closing up.

It looks like we have a Phillies fan on our hands here. He was watching the game with us. He tucked down into his cave a little when I put the camera up to the tank, but he had half of his body out of the cave and was focused on the television for the duration of the game (and for a little while later). He actually watches the television. I've heard other people say they have witnessed their mantis watch TV, too.

252F29C8.jpg

dude' date=' those pink tips are actually pretty awesome!![/quote']

I've been feeding those two at the front of the tank with mysis. They're about 3 times larger now than when I started. There are a ton of them in the tank. They're everywhere. They like to anchor themselves in a shady location and extend out into the light. At least two of the majanos have gone on a full tour of the tank.

dude' date=' those pink tips are actually pretty awesome!![/quote']

I've been feeding those two at the front of the tank with mysis. They're about 3 times larger now than when I started. There are a ton of them in the tank. They're everywhere. They like to anchor themselves in a shady location and extend out into the light. At least two of the majanos have gone on a full tour of the tank.