My SPS and LED's take 2

mattv

Lets try this again. First off a little about my system. I did a diy on my leds thanks to rapidled and Upinders help. There is 42 3watt crees with no optics on my system with 24 royal blues and 18 whites run by a daylight controller. My tank is 30"x30"x24" connected to @ 250 gallon frag and sump system. The led lighting is brighter my last system that ran a 250w+175w MH and 2 24" t5's. The leds are more crisp and I love the blues at night! I have only had the display up and running since Christmas.

Thought it would be fun to show the growth every two weeks. Enjoy!

The first picture was taken 12/27/11

2012-01-26_15-37-25_322.jpg

Today 6/3/12

2012-06-03_16-21-13_804.jpg

2012-06-03_16-21-06_693.jpg

When you say a daylight controller are you talking a basic timer or are you using an actual controller like DA or Neptune?

I have thought about tracking growth myself on a few a slowest growers since it seems they are not as slow as they once where, my purple monster (which is not for sale/trade -(nono))inparticular.

So do have a place marked where you stand or set the tripod so you get the exact same distance camera setting etc-How retentive are yu-rofl

I onnly laugh since I probably would-got to keep all things equal ya know-(laugh)

When you say a daylight controller are you talking a basic timer or are you using an actual controller like DA or Neptune?

I have thought about tracking growth myself on a few a slowest growers since it seems they are not as slow as they once where, my purple monster (which is not for sale/trade -(nono))inparticular.

So do have a place marked where you stand or set the tripod so you get the exact same distance camera setting etc-How retentive are yu-rofl

I onnly laugh since I probably would-got to keep all things equal ya know-(laugh)

Your killing me(laugh) I am trying to shoot from the same spot by looking at the old pictures. The daylight unit is from rapidled and has three preset modes that simulate sunrise and sunset with the dimming.

Your killing me(laugh) I am trying to shoot from the same spot by looking at the old pictures. The daylight unit is from rapidled and has three preset modes that simulate sunrise and sunset with the dimming.

(laugh)

Wow we are really scientific now (laugh) I like your growth tracking pictures. and I have to say the colors look really good too. Let me know when you are ready to frag some of these.

I have had similar experience with LEDs. Although, there was a huge problem of hair algae, it has been resolved and my corals are back up and recovered very very quickly. Just took some pics myself with my phone and thought I'll share one with you on your thread!! The polyp extention is great!!

0173a06e.jpg

You have one radion over a 60 gal? How's the spread? People are using 3 radion over 48" tanks.

Yup just one. They are rated to cover a 2'x2' footprint which the tank is. I don't remember any dark sections at 8" above the water. It's currently running at 100% intensity at 14k with great polyp extension on the sand bed.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

I've seen Matt's LEDs in person and they are amazing. Beautiful color on all the corals, along with great growth. Things look even better when he puts on the blues....makes everything look electrified. Makes me wanna get LEDs

• 3 weeks later...
Update. So far so good!

It actually looks terrible-totally proves the point of all those threads I have read were LEDs just make SPS turn brown and die, unless of course its not LED's in general but something more specific like the fixture they have (or had) is a POS or maybe they shocked the corals to death, or maybe they suck so bad they cant grow algae.

But then again it could just be that LEDs just wont grow SPS since they lack UV and dont have the correct spectrum and they just dont have enough, uh, what else oh ya maybe enough people using them that actually can keep corals alive!!!!

Baaaaaaaa

Looks good Matt, but I wish you would have kept this a secret, its going to make it difficult to sell all the MH stuff I have-

• 1 month later...