Wegotjs 150g Marineland Starfire Tank build

wegotjs

Thanks To Reefjunkie i'm the owner of a new tank. I have had it sitting in the dining room for about 7 weeks trying to get stuff for it.

While my old tank is getting neglected and the new is getting all my love I wanted to share the building proccess with the club.

First the tank on her back getting ready to be Drilled.

P2120374.jpg

The "Driller"

P2120380.jpg

The "Coolent/Lubricant"

I will mention that Joel showed me how to drill a tank indoors. I have drill lots of tanks outside with the garden hose but since this tank weighs like 600 pounds I didn't want to take it out to drill it. I use half Radiator coolant and half tap water to both lube and cool the holes as they are being drilled.

P2120382.jpg

The "procces"

Using the glass guide template ( never drill a glass tank without one)

Put a little plumbers putty under the template to keep it from moving. Then put tape on the under side to hold were youare going to drill

That helps to keep from getting fractures and to keep the hole from dropping . When drilling a tank I alway suggest two people. One to drill and the other to hold the hole from falling out prematurly and doing untold things to your tank.I find that drilling from the inside out i always best and reduces the chances of having a chip that a bulkhead will not cover.However the glass on this tank and this tanks size kept me from doing that.

P2120383.jpg

Fill the Newly created swimming pool. Coolant / water As you can see I am using low toxic coolant.I wouldn't try this with out using this "type"

I should mention i also cleaned the tank inside and out with soap and water to remove all the coolant immediately after i finished drilling

The " Action Shot"

P2120386.jpg

P2120387.jpg

The "Results"

P2120388.jpg

I want to thank Concretdonkey for his willingness to break his back putting this on the cabinet.

I want to thank Brad for Framing in the the stand even though it was out of square .(naughty)

Brad was nice enought to though in the beginings of a stand and I do enjoy finishing jobs that other people start, right Brad:D

So I ended up skimming the cabinet from Brad with cabinet grade plywood and with a little tlc and some trim here it is .

P2130389.jpg

Archived