Way to trusting??

NoobtoSalt

So since I've been breaking down this tank I have come to the realization that I am way too trusting of people. Let this be known that this has nothing to do with anyone here on the boards but I went ahead and offered up some corals for a $25 gift card to one of the LFS in town. After I had already bagged the corals they pulled out what was supposed to be a gift card and it was one of the punch cards for the lfs. I get good enough deals that the shop and I have an agreement that I don't use the punch card. So I told the person that I was under the impression that it was a gift card and that I cannot use what they were trying to offer up. They appologized and said they didn't have any cash at the moment and that they would repay me the next day. Well that being said I have contacted this person multiple times through email and I have not heard a response back. I know this was my fault for assuming that every reefer was trustworthy and I'm still hoping that this person comes back to repay me but at this point I'm not seeing anything good coming out of it. If I don't hear back soon I will post up the person who did this to me so they don't sucker you too.

Oh yeah I don't really care about the money per say I mean it's only $25 but just still wish people could be trustworthy.

DOH!

Enough of my rant just wanted to vent a bit.

On a brighter note I should have the new tank setup at the house and the 240 broken down in the next few days!!!(clap)

O by the way, the RKL is nice but the little tank broke fish died and lights went out. So need to come over now. yuk yuk yuk

Realy though I hope the person has just had a hard time getting back to you. hope things work out.

Just go ahead and fry those fish up. Not much but it's the least I could do for you...(laugh)

This is unfortunate. It is always the bad apples that get our attention. What bugs me is people that will sell something without fully disclosing the condition and then pleading ignorance.

Sometimes it is just so much easier to just go to Garrett's and buy what I need. I love talking with Garrett and love giving cr** to Roger! It is paradise!

This is unfortunate. It is always the bad apples that get our attention. What bugs me is people that will sell something without fully disclosing the condition and then pleading ignorance.

Sometimes it is just so much easier to just go to Garrett's and buy what I need. I love talking with Garrett and love giving cr** to Roger! It is paradise!

If only they were closer...(laugh) Giving Roger crap is easy online but man it would be so much better in person once a week...

Sorry to read this Jesse. The problem is and I will use the word problem isthis is a small group (mainly) of "local reefers" and as suchsometimes you fall into the "trap" of being trusting of some personyou have never met-We invite them into our home to pick stuff up (perhaps) andwe take their word that they will actually do what they commit to.

I've been burned more times than I care to count and as such it has made itdifficult for reefers that follow the last "fish flake" that burnedme (laugh) to gain trust

For me, unless the person has positive feedback, its Paypal only-I cant holdthings for people, sorry but a few flakes ruin it for the rest of us honestfolks.

As someone who sells on Ebay I am blessed with dealing with those types offolks on a grander scale-

Its funny how many times I have a person who does not pay or cant pay explainsto me how sorry they were but there has been a death in their family, a terminal illness, or something trajic has happened that kept them from paying.

Could it be true, sure but when you have 10 non payments and 8 say somethingtragic has happened, it makes you a bit jaded- I have thought about adding adisclaimer to my auctions stating that by bidding on my auction it may be detrimentalto your health or a loved one-.

Well there is my rant, and the common thread is, we trust people we don’tknow and I guess thats our fault, we don’t know these people- a perfect example is a certain nut job that lived up North that recently tried to kill his girlfriend

Not everyone is psychotic but hey you never know-(scratch)

I like to think as Steve pointed out they are just having a tough time getting back to you, but even if they do, there is a flake around the corner-(laugh)

SoapBox.gif

If only they were closer...(laugh) Giving Roger crap is easy online but man it would be so much better in person once a week...

we dont go for cyberbullyin here-(flame)

For the most part people mean well on here. One of the problems as much as we joke and laugh, there really is an addiction component to this hobby. Sometimes people want something and have to have it and just realize they just spend the rent money. I typically do not hold items unless without payment unless I have dealt with the person before. I also don't let someone I have not dealt with take something and offer to pay me later. It's not personal and in the end it benefits both because there are no hard feelings later.

Having said that, I have had more people go out of their way to give and help. I hope you get your money Jesse.

For the most part people mean well on here. One of the problems as much as we joke and laugh, there really is an addiction component to this hobby. Sometimes people want something and have to have it and just realize they just spend the rent money. I typically do not hold items unless without payment unless I have dealt with the person before. I also don't let someone I have not dealt with take something and offer to pay me later. It's not personal and in the end it benefits both because there are no hard feelings later.

Having said that, I have had more people go out of their way to give and help. I hope you get your money Jesse.

Like I said before it's only $25. From what this person has said to me during there time here they have dealt with some others here as well. If I don't hear back in a few days I will post up their name and email address. This person was not from the forums btw. It's my own stupidity for trusting them. This has happened to me multiple times you would think I would have figured it out by now...DOH!

I'm just more concerned about others getting burned from this person as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Never heard back from them. Will post the name later so you don't get taken like I did but its the same people trying to trade puppies for saltwater gear on craigslist. If you know them tell them to respond to my messages or bring my corals back. Thanks

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

Let me start off by saying that I wasn't asking for a trade for a stupid dog. My point was that they will try and trade dogs for saltwater gear (I've seen their craigslist ads during my saltwater searches). They owe me cash!! Not a dog. I can see that everyone else is ok with being taken advantage of these people I was just trying to help a fellow reefer out from making the same mistake as me but oh well..

When I was in California a member of the club down there sold some stuff for me because I was moving up here and he kept all the money and still refuses to respond to any attempt to try to get the money he owes me. It was a decent amount of money and I'm sure I'll never see it again which hurts my trust and my cash flow for this hobby.

I feel bad for ya Noob...I wish people weren't such jerks but there's no way to tell until you try it.

Some people make it hard for everyone else. I'm generally of the trust-until-given-a-reason-to-do-otherwise club, but it's like some people have no honor anymore. Whatever happened to the good old days when a handshake and/or your word meant something...

Disappointing to say the least. So sorry that this happened to you ~

Archived