Toying with an idea

reef165

I have been thinking about this for a while and thinking it would be kinda cool and differant to do in the display, so today I went ahead and put one together. Wondering what you guys (and gals) think. Acro frags go on all the tops, sand (maybe) just to cover base. Maybe paint it, but think that once the pvc covers with coraline it really wont matter. I think this would look way cool once the frags got growing and it filled out. Would make for great flow all around the corals. Would have maybe a remote DSB and a larger fuge with much LR.

coralrack001.jpg

coralrack002.jpg

coralrack004.jpg

coralrack003.jpg

Ya, me to! Jess is giving me the 30b for helping her out, so I'm really thinken of making another one of these and putting 2 islands in it. I may just try to find some paint that is close to coraline color to start it, I'm a bit impatiant to wait! I have a duel 150 watt HQI and a couple 36 inch T5's to put in a suspended hood

Ed what you are doing is quite similar to how some marine biologists do this in the wild to propagate corals. I think you might promote coraline even faster if you scuff up the pvc with low grit sandpaper. Coraline adheres to rougher surfaces faster then smooth.

Heres a pic with corals on it, I got a little board today and decided to put the 150's over the top frag tank, then moved some corals arround to be able to put it in.

fragrack018.jpg

fragrack001.jpg

fragrack002.jpg

I think I will sand it a bit and paint it a flat black when it goes into the 30b

what about stuff getting down the tubes and decaying? seems like a potential nutrient trap. maybe do some kind of cap for them? I read somewhere about someone that put 3" pvc under the sand for an eel. it had upturned ends for the eel to access and they said they'd do it different next time so stuff couldn't fall in, they apparently fought enough with it. maybe drill plug-sized holes in some caps so the plug would fill the hole, especially with some epoxy?

Ya, after seeing in use I realise that what I have sofar is cool but a little small, even if I put 2 of them in the 30b, it will still be way to open, so I plan on making then a little bigger and maybe conectihg the 2 and putting a MJ inbetween and drilling a 1/8 inch hole just below all the frags so that water can be sucked in by the MJ, or drill lots of holes and make like a closed loop that returnes to the tank through the racks, or just filling the cavity up with something, one it will weigh it down, and also not let any water even get in there.

Archived