Setting up a chiller?

siskiou

Well, I've bit the bullet and purchased a used chiller.

But how to set it up?

Should I just have one of my drains go right to the chiller and from there to the sump (to avoid yet another pump)? The GPH would be just about right.

Or set it up with a pump and have my controller turn on the pump and chiller only when needed?

Is it better to have water run through (or sit) in the chiller at all times, or do you take it off and drain it during the colder months?

I did a simple close loop in the sump with an extra pump. That way I know the flow is consistent for the chillers flow rate. Some choose to put it inline with the return or a closed loop in the display. Remember that chillers add a lot of head to your pump. If you put it inline you may need a larger pump.

1/10 PCI Chiller,

120G tank,

30G sump

1262 Eheim return pump.

I know the chiller is a little on the small side, but it's just an addition to the a/c window unit.

It only needs to bring the temp down 2-3 degrees during the summer.

Right now I have it on one of my drains (about 600GPH), and it seemed to work fine during the test run.

Is it okay to leave the chiller in-line all year?

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, I still have it plumbed that way and it worked fine during a test run.

I hasn't had to turn on since then, because the weather has been pretty cool.

It all depends if your drain's GPH match the chiller's range, and for mine it's right in the middle and saves me from the noise of yet another pump! ;)