300 Cube the new tank.

Frank

Don't you loss detail that high up

Opposite actually. The higher the F-Stop the great detail in the photo. You will have to increase either your shutter speed or your ISO to compensate. Often time this leads to a longer exposure then 1/125th and for anything longer then that I would recommend turning off all of the pumps as the water flow will blur the photo IME. Tripods are your friend too. :D

You can also run a sharpening tool on them. Are you using something to sharpen now?

I use Photoshop c6 to sharpen a little and I change the white balance to 20k. I have the ISO to 100.

Here is some info I got off Reef2Reef.

set ISO to 0 for now, but if shots are coming out too dark or blurry, you can adjust up to 200. any higher than 400 and pictures will start to look grainy.

set the f/stop of the camera to b/w f/9 and f/13. (the higher the f/stop, the smaller the aperature....and the greater the depth of field....however....as the depth of field gets larger, the sharpness will degrade........thus f/9-13 seems to be a good sweet spot for coral shooting)

I use Photoshop c6 to sharpen a little and I change the white balance to 20k. I have the ISO to 100.

Here is some info I got off Reef2Reef.

set ISO to 0 for now, but if shots are coming out too dark or blurry, you can adjust up to 200. any higher than 400 and pictures will start to look grainy.

set the f/stop of the camera to b/w f/9 and f/13. (the higher the f/stop, the smaller the aperature....and the greater the depth of field....however....as the depth of field gets larger, the sharpness will degrade........thus f/9-13 seems to be a good sweet spot for coral shooting)

IME I do not agree with that.

If you have a very old camera you can start to get noise higher then ISO 400. However newer cameras can do much much higher. What kind of camera do you have (model number don't just say canon)? I know photographers always want to say it's not the camera, it's the user, and partially that is true. Sometimes it is the camera too. My DSLR has no problems shooting at an ISO of 3200 without noise, and with editing I have made huge prints (4'x8') from ISO's of 6400 that are still sharp. For me when purchasing a camera a big part of what I am paying for is those extra usable ISO stops.

Also that advice assumes a set aperture and seems to assume a set ISO without really speaking about shutter speed. Shutter speed, ISO, and Aperture form a thing often referred to as the "exposure triangle". It is kind of odd to see the two mentioned without reference to the third.

Some sharpness can be lost straight out of the camera on a crw file at higher apertures, but it is easily brought back in, especially since you are using CS6. IMO macro shots usually work best between 11-22 depending on the subject. I like to look for the defined "veins of symbiodinium" (I had to look that word up) or color patterns on the surface to the stonies, which is why I like the higher F-Stops.

In the photography world saying you use CS6 to sharpen is equivalent to the stick hoarder world of saying you have a light on your tank, or that you put stuff in the water to make the corals happy. There are several ways to sharpen an image in CS6. Some work better then others especially when applied at different times. Sometimes running the High Pass filter on a seperate layer merging down to a single a back up layer and then setting the blending mode to a different luminosity is going to be best, other times smart sharpen works good. I'm just curious what your work flow is.

On changing the temp to 20K, depending on your camera for true color you might consider white balancing per shot, or maybe even a white balance disc. If your running your monitor uncalibrated this is an easy way to get more accurate color without forking over the few hundred for calibration software. I use a white Tupperware lid to white balance in tank shots but anything white will work for most cameras. The Tupperware is just easy for me.

You know if your happy with your pictures you can just ignore me, but I think with a couple pretty simple tweaks you'd be a lot happier IMO.

HTH

Kevin thanks for your input I love to learn and your input is greatly appreciated I have a Canon Rebel XSI it has a ISO 100 to 1600 Im looking at a Canon EOS Rebel T5i not sure if the upgrade is worth it. Im always looking for ways to make the shots look better now wish you were closer. My brother got me the CS6 so that was free just need to learn how to use it better. I also shot in RAW if that helps. I want to get a new lenses just got to find one that I know for sure I want.

Glad I could help. I never know if I am giving unwanted advice when I talk about pictures, so :D

When I come over to get those sticks you owe me I can show you a few tricks on how to use PS better and ways to sharpen without changing the color. I'm a little bit obsessed with that program. I'm still going back and forth on getting that 210g, so don't wanna get frags and then swap tanks.

I do have a 100mm macro you can play with too if ya want.

On camera's I have never really used the Rebel line since about 2002. I don't know too much about them. The specs on it look pretty nice though, but for what your doing, you can probably get pretty good results with what you have. The XSI is known for having a noisy sensor, and that technology has come a long way in the last 6 years. Whether spending $800 on a new camera is worth it for someone that has a little baby... I don't know. I hear people like baby pictures too.

I should bring some toys over. I'm pretty open schedule wise. If you wanna hang out and play photo text me and we'll set up a time. That way we quit clogging up your tank thread.

I'm impressed your getting those results with that lens. Wait until you try an L series lens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 9 months later...

I wonder if you could plumb the baby's diaper into the skimmer....that beast could handle it!

Have you had kids.......... :laugh:  some things you find in there not to sure about :unsure:

And Frank that little guy sure is cutter than you :laugh:

Edited by spectra

• 2 months later...