Is this normal?

FatChevy

So I've had my tank running for a little less then a month and about a week maybe a little more i've started to grow brown algae. I've read everywhere that give it time and it will go away on its own but it seems to be getting worse. my snails and hermit crabs can't keep up. I know when its night time it seems to go down but I cant leave the days light off till the algae dies off. is there a solution to this mess aside from starting over?

I have a RO/DI filter (OCEAN REEF + 1 FIVE STAGE 75 GPD RO/DI) from The Filter Guys in the mail and a nitrate reducer that I've heard mixed reviews from but they won't be here till friday. I would like to get it under wraps because my family is coming all the way from the east coast to visit and I dont want them to look at all my hard work in disappointment!

oh my ph is at .0 and my ammonia is at .0 but my nitrates are at .20

imag0528d.jpg

Welcome to the diatom stage of cycling a tank. My 90 FOWLR is looking very similar right now. I have yet to see a tank that doesn't look like this for at least a couple of weeks at some point after setting it up. It will get better. Do a search for diatoms on this site or google.

HTH,

B

Phosban reactor is a fancy term for a chamber designed to hold carbon and phosphate reducing medias (phosban is a brand name of this). It is much more efficient than using a media bag and floating it. Costs usually around $40 and require a small (300ish gph) pump

Would this be used all the time or just till the algae clears up? so I would need a second pump or I use my existing one?

I personally run it all the time, you would just change the media more frequently in the beginnig til it clears up and then you can back off on frequency as long as you keep up water changes and dont over feed

You could T off your exisiting pump if you have like 250 gph to spare

I feel your pain. My tank is about 6 weeks old and my algae bloom appeared a few days ago. It's really nasty , even my sand has some on it. It's very hard to be patient but that's what everyone says so we'll just have to wait it out.

Hang in there.

Yep. Use it all the time with carbon and when you start having algae issues' date=' the GFO will help a lot. You could use both GFO and carbon at the same time if you wanted to. I have have been running both for a few months now and seem to have good results.[/quote']

So what is the point of a refugium if there's all these added extra things I need? When they say a selfcontained environment I think that's an understatement lol

So what is the point of a refugium if there's all these added extra things I need? When they say a selfcontained environment I think that's an understatement lol

A refugium will help cut down on your nitrates as well as become a host to copepods for your tank. Makes a wonderful addition to any reef tank.

Not to beat a dead horse but I have a refugium sump. What I'm wondering is if i need the phosbane reactor or just wait? Money's not an issue I want the best for my tank

It's not absolutely necessary in the beginning. I didn't start with one. I have been maintaining the Pioneer school tank. We wanted to keep it as simple as possible. It has not refugium. No phosban reactor, no filter sock, no ATO It has a nice skimmer and nice sump and everything is doing well. Sometimes I think keeping things simple makesthe hobby more enjoyable.

It's not absolutely necessary in the beginning. I didn't start with one. I have been maintaining the Pioneer school tank. We wanted to keep it as simple as possible. It has not refugium. No phosban reactor' date=' no filter sock, no ATO It has a nice skimmer and nice sump and everything is doing well. Sometimes I think keeping things simple makesthe hobby more enjoyable.[/quote']

Thats exactly what I want. I have a cheap skimmer that came with the tank but I plan to upgrade to the Super Reef Octopus XP 1000SSS. I want to do everything right but I dont want to have to maintain it every second of the day!

I remember when that happened to me I was ooking it up and everything but just wait it will clear up

I think thats what i'll do. if its there in another few weeks then i'll will start worrying!

Archived