FLOOD!!!

cellowithgills

(flame)(flame)(flame)(flame)(flame)(flame)(flame)(flame)(flame)(flame)(flame)(flame)(flame)(flame)(flame)(flame)(flame)(flame)(flame)(flame)(flame)(flame)(flame)(flame)(flame)(flame)(flame)(flame)(flame)(flame)(flame)(flame)(flame)(flame)(flame)(flame)(flame)(flame)(flame)(flame)(flame)(flame)(flame)(flame)(flame)(flame)(flame)(flame)

The heater in my mixing bucket heater melted a hole through the bucket and has been leaking water for what I'm guessing has been a couple days. Tearing up carpet as we speak.DOH!DOH!DOH!DOH!DOH!

Welcome to the flood club Micah you're in good company. It will all work out. It's a shock the first time your feet slosh through wet carpet but after 4 or 5 times of that happening , Beth has drying the carpet down to an art. A good shop vac and lots of fans will be your best friends today.

You can rent fans from most tool rental store specificaly designed to blow air under the carpet to dry it out, also check witha local carpet cleaning company they can do an extraction of the area that will pull out way more water than any shop vac could and you would be amazed how cheap it can be often less then renting a carpet cleaner at the store. This is coming from a maintenance tech who has dealt with many a flooded apartment do to burst water heaters nature damage carless tenants, also if you have a small a/c unit use it in the room it will work as a dehumdifier=)

Good luck, dealt with that last winter. Turns out we have no floor drain either. Shopvac and fans were not enough, had to buy a dehumidifier, but that did dry everything and no smell, and it's been a great tool to have around since as I have made a few plumbing errors. Think the carpet in our place was designed for basements or commercial settings that get damp, it's super uncool looking but tough. I feel a lot worse about the water that collected under my plant pots upstairs blistering up the floor, which is some kind of rare and totally unavailable hardwood in an unusual shade according to my floor sales pro sister. I want her to get us some waterproof high end tile for the basement but not sure how to install it with 20 aquariums in there already.

The other bummer is that after the shop vac you realize that your carpet needed cleaning and it only got it where it got the good soak!

So yeah, if you don't have a dehumidifier you might want to borrow or buy one. On the downside they use tons of electricity and heat up the house.

Kate

Archived