how long can sand sit in buckets & be ok ?

MissDeffiance

I broke down my tank a wk & 1/2 ago during a move. How long can the sand be in the buckets and be ok & if it takes me a little longer still to set it up is there anything I can do to keep it good ?

My tank was a 125 gal. had been set up for a yr. I did keep some water in the buckets with the sand.

Hoping someone has some good advice..

Thanks

I would worry about problems such a sulfur dioxide, and nasty organics. Frankly I would rinse it out with a hose really well, and then sun dry it... Why take the risk?

Sand beds trap all sorts of nasty things

Agreed. I had sand in a bucket for less than a week and it was RANK when I emptied the buckets. I wouldn't even bother using it if it wasn't rinsed really well...

Here's what Jason (formerly) at Coral Reef told me about re-using sand: Take a scoop with your hand and smell it. If it smells like the beach go ahead and re-use it with no worries. If it smells like rotten eggs then you must either toss it or rinse it several times and let it sun dry. Take the scoops from several different depths to get a good idea if it's good or not.

Here's what Jason (formerly) at Coral Reef told me about re-using sand: Take a scoop with your hand and smell it. If it smells like the beach go ahead and re-use it with no worries. If it smells like rotten eggs then you must either toss it or rinse it several times and let it sun dry. Take the scoops from several different depths to get a good idea if it's good or not.

That rotten eggs smell is an indicator of sulfur dioxide. Also a good way to tell is if the sand is black etc.

Archived