Natural Flatworm Control

DChemist

I've discovered I've got the ordinary reddish acoel flatworms(flame) . Apparently, just another cycle after my crash.

I'm not going to take the Salifert Flatworm Exit strategy, unless you all scare :eek: me sufficiently enough to change my mind. I would like to control them naturally but need everyone's advice.

Wet Web Media ( http://www.wetwebmedia.com/flatworms.htm ) suggests wrasses and peppermint shrimp for potential control. I've seen the sixline wrasse used to control them, has anyone have experience with the canary wrasse? What about the peppermint shrimp? Will he bother my scarlet cleaner shrimp?

Besides siphoning and patience, are there any other things to try?

All posts are welcome.

To the best of my knowledge the only thing that will really work besides the Flatworm exit is a velvet nudibranch. They only feed on flatworms. I have heard stories of other things eating them but you never hear about them taking care of all the flatworms in the tank. My guess is that they go over and nip at a couple of them and that is about that. For awhile there there were even wholesalers out there claiming that yellow tailed damsels ate flatworms. If you are really opposed to the chemical method I would definately recommend finding some of the velvet nudibranchs rather than spending that money on things that are probably not going to take care of the problem. Now if you want those other things in your tank it wouldn't hurt to buy them but I definately wouldn't expect them to take care of the problem.

Darren,

I had them in my tank pretty good, I bought the Flat worm exit and tried to do as suggested (suck out as many as you can before using) but I was unable to get to the areas where they were good enough to really get any out. So, I used the Flat Worm Exit as suggested, and it worked perfectly. Within minutes they were flying around the tank and my fish were enjoying a free meal. I added a couple more wrasses and the population of them have never came back...

I send a warning with using flatworm exit. I treated my old 90 gal as I was going to transfer everything this week to my new 100 gal. Ended up doing is on Sunday as the flatworm exit just started to stress everything thing. Four hours latter I had everything transfered to my new tank. Luckily that I had been cycling for a few weeks. Two days later my blue tang and yellow tang that I have had almost 3 years died. If I were you I wouldn't use the stuff and get a few six line wrasse and try to suck the flatworms out during your water changes.

Thanks for the feedback, so far. I did add a sixline to my tank this week (no quaratine). I fed him some of the flatworms during acclimation just to see if he'd eat them- he did and is doing well in the tank. He does hang out where the infestation was at its worst (not bad really). I think there are fewer now, but my wife disagrees.

I didn't realize how much I'd like the sixline- beautiful colors and a great personality (I swear he's lookin at me). He doesn't hide too much like I'd expected.

The other thing I noticed is the cleaner shrimp picking over the rock with the flatworms. I can't tell if he's eating them (his legs move to quickly) but it seems as if he is.

Regarding the velvet nudibranch... I think I'd do the Flatworm Exit before I'd try the nudibranch, only because I suspect it would ultimately starve in my 40 gallon tank after the flatworms were nocked down or out. Same for a Mandarin, though they're about the coolest fish ever.

Two tangs to flatworms? Or to flatworm exit? That really sucks. Six-line looks good. He should do a pretty decent job. I convinced the owner of my LFS to put two in his tank and those babies are getting fat! Later Ryan

Eh, there had to be something else leading to the demise of the fish. I find it very hard to swallow that a few drops would do anything except give the FW some immunity to the med, unless this tank was less than 20gal or something. I've been using FWE for 3+ years and have yet to lose a single thing from my tanks. I dosed a 10gal at 3X the strength suggested with zero problems. When used as directed this product is amazingly effective at targeting FW and only FW. One of the only products on the market in this hobby that targets a single organism with such effectiveness.

But i suppose there is always that freak occurance where things went wrong. If you search on RC you will find for every 1 person who had problems, there are hundreds that had no ill effects.

Thank you all for the discussion- I was looking for everyone's experiences. It is interesting, this morning I couldn't hardly find one. I thought the sixline was doing an amazing job, he looks nice and fat. This afternoon I see a bunch. Not a big deal- they aren't affecting any of my corals yet. They are localized on just a single rock.

I'm not afraid to use the Flatworm Exit, I will dose it if I need to- but I'm going to just let this go and observe what happens. I suspect like most things, this is just a phase that will pass.

Let me know if you disagree.

Thank you all for the discussion- I was looking for everyone's experiences. It is interesting, this morning I couldn't hardly find one. I thought the sixline was doing an amazing job, he looks nice and fat. This afternoon I see a bunch. Not a big deal- they aren't affecting any of my corals yet. They are localized on just a single rock.

I'm not afraid to use the Flatworm Exit, I will dose it if I need to- but I'm going to just let this go and observe what happens. I suspect like most things, this is just a phase that will pass.

Let me know if you disagree.

I didnt read all of this thread...but my opinion on just the regular old acoel flatworms is that if youve only got a few....as in less than a couple hundred if you really look.......nail em with FWE while its still relatively easy and no risk or PITA to do so.

My 6 line and clown go nuts on them once they die and start floating in the water column too. :)

Sure, without the nutrients there populations will typically go down........but get em while the gettin's good IMO

Yeah I disagree that the Flat Worm exit killed your tangs. I used it at around a 3/4 dosage in my reef and I had a lot of Flat worms and had absolutely no problems at all. I didn't do anything especial I just followed the directions. I have talked to quite a few of the LFS and they use it on a regular basis with no ill affects.