Return pump size?

marinehrnt

I'm in the process of setting up a 60 gallon tank with a sump and looking for some ideas on how large of a return pump I should install. At this point I would like a submersible pump, the tank has two returns drilled in the back so I will need to split the line. The height of the tank above the sump is about 3 1/2 feet. Eventually I want a mixed reef; so do I want something that will do 600 gph, 1000 gph, etc? Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Depends on the size of your overflow. Are you sure one of the drilled returns isn't actually the overflow? If it's a 1" bulkhead with a simple elbow and strainer, you'll probably be able to go around 400 gpm or so. If it's an add on overflow box with J-Tube you might get a little more. A 2000 l/hr (530 gpm) pump will do the trick perfect if you run 5/8" return line. I upgraded to 3/4" tube on return and ended up having to throttle back the pump a hair. Any bigger is wasted unless you tee it off for reactor or something else. If it's acrylic tank, drill bigger and put in 1.5" bulkhead. That will get you up into the gpm range you're looking for.

Thanks for the quick reply. Both of the drilled holes in the back are for the return, it also has a built in overflow. There are currently two 1" bulkheads installed and is setup for 3/4" return tubes, it it an acrylic tank so I could go larger if I need to. I got the tank used and assume it was drilled for two returns in the back so that the flow could be manipulated more in the tank. From the sounds of it a 500-600 gph may work, but do I want that flow after the drop from the head pressure and elbows?

What size is the drain and how large is the overflow box (linear overflow length)? You need to size the return pump to match the overflow box and the drain. (Return size is more or less irrelevant since it can usually be half the diameter of the drain and still flow the same volume)

Your return pump should match the flow of your skimmer so you process all of the water going thru your sump. Flow in the tank should be handled by powerheads or closed loop, not your return pump. Of course you don't want a higher flow return than your drain can handle. 1000gph going thru that sump is going to give you all sorts of headaches, unless you are doing a large sump in a basement or garage or something.

Your return pump should match the flow of your skimmer so you process all of the water going thru your sump. Flow in the tank should be handled by powerheads or closed loop' date=' not your return pump. Of course you don't want a higher flow return than your drain can handle. 1000gph going thru that sump is going to give you all sorts of headaches, unless you are doing a large sump in a basement or garage or something.[/quote']

BINGO! Right on the button!

Your return pump should match the flow of your skimmer so you process all of the water going thru your sump. Flow in the tank should be handled by powerheads or closed loop' date=' not your return pump. Of course you don't want a higher flow return than your drain can handle. 1000gph going thru that sump is going to give you all sorts of headaches, unless you are doing a large sump in a basement or garage or something.[/quote']

I guess I didn't really think about matching the flow with my skimmer, seems like very wise advice! Thanks for all the feedback everyone, it has been very helpful.

Archived