OPINIONS WANTED

I am tired of doing so many water changes to get my nitrates down. There seems to be alot of methods around to do this, but i have been toying with the idea of a couple different things. Does anyone here run a sulfer denitrater, RDSB, or a fluidized sand bed? I would be interested if any of these work at all. Maybe which one will give me more bang for my buck. I hope someone here has a little experience with some of these. Thanks in advance for your input.

I'm running a rdsb. I started it just a few days ago' date=' so I can't tell yet. A lot of people are having luck with it and it is only a few bucks[/quote']

Mine's been running about 6 months now. Haven't kept very good track of it though to say how well it does. (Probably check all of the parameters in the next day or two so I'll have a better idea then)

IME, the only way to get them down is with large water changes. Small ones won't do it. Three 50% water changes will drop them from 100 to 12.5 in a week or so. From there they are much more manageable. This is what I had to do last summer in my 180. Because I was in Singapore and China most of the summer it got so that they were over 160. When I returned, I did a series of 50% changes and I got them down to under 10 where they have stayed since. BTW I have 18 fish in my tank including 4 large Tangs plus one HUGE FF Rabbitfish. Vodka, MB7, all that other stuff helps to keep them down, but to bring them down initially, the only way is with water changes.

Since I'm such a nice guy brandon and I want to see your tank be less of a burden just bring on over that purple tang....(laugh)

Jesse if you were a proven Tang keeper i might consider bringing a Tang or 2 over but I think we all know your track record.(laugh) Really I am just kidding Jesse, I think everyone should at least have a Tang or 2 in a larger system for algae control and I am sure that you will finally be able to keep one in due time.

I agree with big frequent water change for initial lowering the nutrients. Water changes always works.

As for probiotics, whatever it is (MB-7, vodka, rice, red wine, zeo, xaqua, etc) in most of the cases a macro/refugium setup is gonna compete with the carbon/bacteria and it is not something you want.

If I remember well you have concrete bricks in your sump. Keep an eye on those

IME' date=' the only way to get them down is with large water changes. Small ones won't do it. Three 50% water changes will drop them from 100 to 12.5 in a week or so. From there they are much more manageable. This is what I had to do last summer in my 180. Because I was in Singapore and China most of the summer it got so that they were over 160. When I returned, I did a series of 50% changes and I got them down to under 10 where they have stayed since. BTW I have 18 fish in my tank including 4 large Tangs plus one HUGE FF Rabbitfish. Vodka, MB7, all that other stuff helps to keep them down, but to bring them down initially, the only way is with water changes.[/quote']

I have 18 fish as well but only in a 150gal. I have 6 Tangs in mine with 3 large Silver Mono's that i cant catch, with out tearing apart my tank.

My nitrate test kit(elos) went bad so that's how the nitrate problem really got started. I have done a couple 35gal water changes in a months time. I was just looking at something to help I wonder if the algae scrubber would help that much, it seems like it would be the cheapest to make.

The cheapest is the DSB in the bucket. The bucket is free, a few $ for 2 uni-seals (I used 1'' and .5''). A bag and a half of sand from home depot (the one sold for kids to play with), an used maxi jet and some tubing. I think it wont cost more than $20.

If you have an external pump you can feed the bucket with that. It is not filtered as recommended but it seems to work for me.

Hey I have a yellow tang that is alive and healthy. I know it's only been about a month but hey it's still alive and kicking..(laugh)

But I did deserve that one.. Freakin' hilarious...(laugh)

Jesse if you were a proven Tang keeper i might consider bringing a Tang or 2 over but I think we all know your track record.(laugh) Really I am just kidding Jesse' date=' I think everyone should at least have a Tang or 2 in a larger system for algae control and I am sure that you will finally be able to keep one in due time.[/quote']

Take the concrete brick out of the sump...water changes never will help if sand bed is nitrate trap...I had a denitrator...will work...however, using vodka/sugar/vinegar and MB7 will allow you to use your whole tank as a denitrator (a good thing)...In creasing flow, reducing fish load, reducing feeding, increasing clean up crew, biopellets, all good ideas....but again, if tank is being "abused" by overfeeding and over"fishing", nothing will help long term...I was an abuser...had to finally resort to tear down and get rid of rock and sand...

DrMerle

The cheapest is the DSB in the bucket. The bucket is free, a few $ for 2 uni-seals (I used 1'' and .5''). A bag and a half of sand from home depot (the one sold for kids to play with), an used maxi jet and some tubing. I think it wont cost more than $20.

If you have an external pump you can feed the bucket with that. It is not filtered as recommended but it seems to work for me.

I don't even use a pump for mine (I did originally). I changed mine and put a tee with a valve in the drain and give it a slow gravity feed from it instead.