Which skimmer should I save up for?

cellowithgills

Which skimmer should I save up for?  

1. 1.

• Octopus 4" pinwheel
    • Eshopps PSK-150
    • Something else

With the addition of a 33L and a 55 gallon sump, my system will be push passed the 65 gallons my coralife skimmer is rated for(rock2). Assuming that I don't get a great deal on a skimmer for anyone on here, I need to start saving for a skimmer upgrade.

Vote on which you think is the best skimmer for the money and for my system.

Personaly I think for anything under 125g you can't go wrong with a "bubble max" I think they are called. The Rubin one equal with the Octo 200/2000 whatever. Those skimmers are Great and will surely do the job. For the price, durability and performance IMO a person would be hard pressed to beat it. The only thing I would use unless I was over 125-175gallons for real. Thanks Harold

Well I have the Reef Octopus NWB110, There was a short discussion about them in the link below, I have found it to be a good skimmer, rated for up to 100 gallons, its not too expensive (Around $150-$175 range) and it has worked pretty well for me, I have been very happy with it. It was easy to setup, easy to dail in, and not super expensive, but the quality is good I thought, you know when you pickup a skimmer and feel it, sometimes they feel light weight and cheap, this doesn't its well put together and sturdy, not cheaply made in my opinion....its been working great on my 40b with 20L sump.....if I had to do it all over again, I honestly think I would go right back to this option....

http://www.pnwmas.org/forums/showthread.php?25574-Reef-Octopus

The SWC 160 cone is a great skimmer. Also the Bubble Magus NAC7 cone. Same pump, you can find it for $170

They both pull about 500 l/h pf air and have a similar shape, so they should perform similarly.

I would go for the Magus if you have room for 10 inches in the sump (water level) or the SWC if you don't (can work on 7 inches).

With the money you save you can buy a Swabbie (I think is called like that) automatic collection cup cleaner and having the NAC7 working 100% 24/7

Wow' date=' I never even thought about water the level effecting the skimmer before. I guess that would make sense though. I'm going with a standard 55 gallon tank for a sump, so 10" of water shouldn't be too hard to achieve. I just have to have a 10" baffle for the skimmer section right?[/quote']

Correct: just a baffle.

Most of the modern skimmers are strictly dependent from the water level to operate properly and it should be kept in mind when planning a system.