Death of my Snowflake Eel

Emerald525

I'm so sad today. Last night when Beth and I got home from trading we found the snowflake eel dead at the bottom of the tank.(sad)(sad)

We had him since he was a tiny little guy maybe a couple of inches long and he had grown to at least a foot in length. We initially had him in the FOWLR tank but when I broke that down I put him in the reef.

He was a model citizen. Never tried to eat the shrimp or other fish. Never tried to escape the tank and he had lots of chances. I should have known something was up 2 days ago when he wouldn't come out to feed. Normally I feed him small bits of scallops every 2 to 3 days on some tongs. He looked great Tuesday but would not come out to feed Wednesday and yesterday evening he did not look right and was just at the bottom of the tank breathing heavily.

What could make him go downhill so quickly? Water parameters are all fine and fish and corals look fine. He did seem to have a lump about midway down. Are they prone to intestinal blockages? I don't think it was a disease or infection as he was fine and then dead 2 days later.

Beth didn't really care for him but I loved my little snakelike pet...(sad)(sad)

He could have eaten a small snail. I've seen it happen before. Other than that, I got nuthin!

Sorry about the lil guy. Snowflakes are my favorite.

Bummer' date=' So sorry to hear that, I had a snowflake once, they have such personalities, I got really attached to mine, I honestly have no idea what could have happenend...Sorry for your loss...[/quote']

ya maybe some sort of blockage' date=' or maybe a bad shrimp, only way to tell is to do a post-mortem examination[/quote']

You remember mammalian physiology lab right? Open him up and see doc!

My snowflake had a blockage from a snail. When I did an autopsy on him I found it. He had an obvious lump in his midsection and would not eat for 4 days before he passed. Sorry for your loss.

Thanks everyone. I actually considered doing an autopsy on him and probably would have if it hadn't been so late and I was just so sad. My guess is that maybe he did try to eat a hermit or maybe it was a snail but my gut feeling and the visible lump and sudden death all pointed to that conclusion without slicing up my friend.

Even in his death he was thoughtful enough to die in a place that was easy to get him out.

Ya that sucks, I think we should have gave a moment of silence earlier when I was over-(sad)

**** happens for no reason, my fathead anthias died Monday-eating fine one day, the next day, snail food-(flame) It was my 4th attempt at that fish, I guess I am slow learner.

Snowflakes are very cool, had one back in the day before corals, that sucker grew so fat, I used to feed it by hand, well that great thing about this hobby you dont get "as" attached like you can with other pets-

Go grab another-(rock2)

Yeah I really liked him. I'm not going to get another one. I would have never had him in my reef except I didn't want to give him up and since he behaved for the most part and didn't try to eat any of the fish or shrimp so he got to stay. I think if I got another eel he would end up crawling out of the tank. He had a great personality. He was super tame. I totally could have hand fed him but I was afraid with his poor eyesight he would bite me.