SCWD Worth the money?

NoobtoSalt

I'm not sure what you mean by a Reefkeeper but I have used SCWD's for years as "part" of my return system. I have six returns and one/two go thru a scwd 3/4" but you must have a substantial pump to keep the gph thru the scwd. For 40.00 they are a good product, I would not advise a 1" because of the size of pump needed to run one and I have one sitting in my garage if anyone wants to try it.

I'm not sure what you mean by a Reefkeeper but I have used SCWD's for years as "part" of my return system. I have six returns and one/two go thru a scwd 3/4" but you must have a substantial pump to keep the gph thru the scwd. For 40.00 they are a good product' date=' I would not advise a 1" because of the size of pump needed to run one and I have one sitting in my garage if anyone wants to try it.[/quote']

I might take you up on that offer on the 1". The pump should be enough to run it but I will know more in the next few days. Reef Keeper was only meant as an alternative wavemaker. I currently have my powerheads running 24hrs a day no cycle to shut on/off.

I think we have been thru this before' date=' no disrespect intended, but i have these and a 1"scwd will not even turn with a mag12 (at 5') I tried a mag18 and it would at least cycle thru but very slowly 1-2 minutes to rotate[/quote']

no problem, just odd that the manufacturer states that, but experience always tells the tale.

Jesse i also have a 3/4" laying around if you want to try it on the system, you would just need to convert the line to 3/4"

• 1 month later...
I'm interested in the SQWD too. My new system will have an Ecoplus 1267 pump (1267 gpm' date=' around 950 at 5'). I'd like the 1" only because it seems more robust, but Smann has experience that shows my pump wouldn't do the trick. Is it worth trying?[/quote']

No. A Mag 18 (1200 GPH or so at 5') does a decent job of running a 3/4". (I had one hooked up for a couple of days) I wouldn't even try to run a 1" with it though.

So Rick' date=' what do you have in your system?[/quote']

I just run the Mag 18 with a couple of power heads. My outlets are too close together (center overflow) to really get much benefit from the SCWD so I took it back off since it was robbing some of the flow.

Scwds are great on mid size tanks, super large tanks will probably need more engineering. Just make sure snails can't get through the plumbing from the sump. Somehow one made it past the impeller in my mag 12 and broke the scwd. I love this particular small snail that breeds in the tank, but it's offspring kinda get all over the place and crawl into pumps (silky tegula snails from Reeftopia). Anything small and hard is dangerous, the plastic gears in the scwd can be smashed by debris carried by 1200gph pumps. On the other hand you should screen to protect your pump/impeller, and the scwd I bought to replace it is awesome. I prefer it over wavemakers, as the fewer submerged electrical devices I have to worry about the better.

Kate

along the same idea i use a ocean motions 4 way. This is an electronic device that slowly turns to four different outputs. I have it hard plumbed to a dart pump for my 120g as part of a closed loop. Here is there webpage if you want to check it out

http://www.oceansmotions.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=32&osCsid=8e33398fafbd6ceec6c3261ec019ca8b

Scwds are great on mid size tanks, super large tanks will probably need more engineering. Just make sure snails can't get through the plumbing from the sump. Somehow one made it past the impeller in my mag 12 and broke the scwd. I love this particular small snail that breeds in the tank, but it's offspring kinda get all over the place and crawl into pumps (silky tegula snails from Reeftopia). Anything small and hard is dangerous, the plastic gears in the scwd can be smashed by debris carried by 1200gph pumps. On the other hand you should screen to protect your pump/impeller, and the scwd I bought to replace it is awesome. I prefer it over wavemakers, as the fewer submerged electrical devices I have to worry about the better.

Kate

Kate, what model (3/4 or 1") SCWD do you run?