40 Breeder Build with display fuge.

OwenReefin

Went to Rose City, as suggested and got some red for the display fuge, good call, nice red kelp.

DSC05223.jpg

Also built a canopy for the unit to seal the deal. Stocked by Garrett, beautiful purple dart fish, engineer goby, two blood shrimp, golden coral banded, and some free corals to begin with!

Garretts setup is awesome and close, he is going to get sick of me within a year ;)

DSC05222.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Tank is coming along well. My return pump is hanging on by its last thread. BRS group buy !! Main tank is having corals added, refugium is growing like crazy. So many copepods in there it is like watching sand move everywhere.

My wife and I are having fun with this project. The anemone is rock wall climbing from the sand, white with blue dots on the tips of each tentacle, awesome species.

DSC05227.jpg

DSC05226.jpg

DSC05228.jpg

DSC05230.jpg

DSC05232.jpg

DSC05233.jpg

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

A little update on the tank, it is an amazing hobby and this site was about 99.9% of the source of my reef keeping knowledge. I've kept the project to date, under 1000$ dollars, I have about 150 more to go till the 1k mark. I've fought bryopsis and won, now I am on the front with flat worms. So if anyone has advice on those it would be nice.

DSC05258.jpg

DSC05260.jpg

DSC05261.jpg

Wow, that tank looks GREAT!!!! I have a 39 gallon that I think I will switch over to a 40b. I like that tank. I have battled flatworms also. I sucked as many as I could out with an 1/8" tube then treated with Flatworm RX. I have done this 3 times and still have them hanging out. I have never had too many in there but I would like them gone. I will be doing another treatment today. Hopefully this time does the trick.

50/50 defintely and i prefer the 10k i love the idea and how your tanks our comin out i have a 110 and your doing pretty much exactly what i want to do when i get the money, have two refugiums one under tank and one show and have a bunch of macro algae to feed fish and what not let me know how it goes cant wait to see more

I could take that 40B and have it set up at my house Miles' date=' I am looking to make a change to the 38 I have. LOL[/quote']

I bet you could (laugh)

Yah I have been seeing a lot of folks posting about flatworms. All the more reason for everyone to dip and QT! :D

• 2 months later...

Update, so far I have spent only barely over 1k on this tank, I went over but sold a crap load of micro algae so it evened back out to 1k again.

I have kind of just let it grow without adding a bunch of corals just to see how things work.

I have a 120g plan coming together for my next project in the next 6 months. ;)

20111001142149.jpg

• 8 months later...

Been a while since I have updated this. This tank is still running and doing very well. It has been fully stocked for a while now, just enjoying it till I have room to upgrade. I did some big changes since the last photo, like changing the monster pump, lights, sump. The display fuge ended up being the worst idea ever for me, so much work.

2012-06-11_18-24-52_140.jpg

2012-06-11_20-52-46_95.jpg

For me it was the under-estimation of how some algae will quickly out compete others. I spent about 150$ on algae of purple, red, to have it wither because the calurpa stripped the water. Trimming it also made it seep yellow stuff from its ends and looked terrible. Just don't do fern or blade calurpa and have a good amount of nutrients in your column and you will be fine.