What Metal Halide Bulbs do you use?

Kris

Thinking of switching bulbs.

What bulbs does everyone use? Which ones are your favorites? How much do you pay?

I have used-- Helios 250W 20,000 K Mogul Base Mh Bulb 55.00ea

I actually like these more than XM bulbs which I am using right now.

Running-- XM 250 Watt 20,000K Mogul Base MH Bulb. 70.00ea

How much $ do they run you? Do you buy them locally? Where?

Usually for bulbs I get them from Custom Aquatic.

Do you know of a LFS that has good deals on bulbs?

http://www.marinedepot.com/400_Watt_22000K_Metal_Halide_Bulb_Megachrome_Blue_Mogul_Base_400_Watt_Single_Ended_Metal_Halide_Light_Bulbs-Giesemann_Aquarium_Lighting_Systems-MB6914-FILTBUMHSEFW-MB8914-vi.html

$129

I run 4-400w Radiums right now.

Tried the Helios and got different shades out the bulbs, switched back to Radiums.

Have thought about trying the BlueLife SPS bulbs and maybe an XM bulb.

But I always seem to go back to Radiums....... maybe someday I'll switch.

And if you ask any of the LFS they can tell you if they can special order you some bulbs. Almost all have access to most anything.

The Radium 250W IS a HQI bulb. It is designed to be driven by a HQI ballast. Just connect a mogul socket to the ballast and off you go.

The 400W Radium is designed to be driven at 360W and is therefore NOT a HQI bulb. Some do overdrive it with a HQI ballast because they like the look. If you do this you will shorten the life to around 6mo instead of the usual 12 mo.

The Radium 250W IS a HQI bulb. It is designed to be driven by a HQI ballast. Just connect a mogul socket to the ballast and off you go.

The 400W Radium is designed to be driven at 360W and is therefore NOT a HQI bulb. Some do overdrive it with a HQI ballast because they like the look. If you do this you will shorten the life to around 6mo instead of the usual 12 mo.

I am using one of those current outer orbit fixtures & dont see a possible retrofit, but thanks for the info on the radiums being a HQI bulb. I wonder why they dont make them in the double ended bulb?