speaking of scamming online sellers

reefboy

I wish online vendors would take a 2nd picture with the flash on from a normal side view. I dont have 20k lighting nor look at my corals from a top down view so I would have to guestimate what the color really is in my tank. I've actually heard praise from other forums on the online website guy (adam) but the prices are too outrageous for me... and the whole color misleading thing doesnt help...

Wow Ryan those are some amazing pieces!! Were those the ones in the back in the "Super Uber Japanese-Deepwater" tank? :) Yeah that is one big reason I have never bought anything online. I have thought about it several times but in the end I would hate to get a piece I didnt like.

Hey Randy did you ever come to a resolution with that piece you bought like a year ago that was totally photo-shopped? I think it was a acan or echino? It was really obvious. Or did it actually color up? Later Ryan

The funny thing about that first echino pic is it was bright green with blue centers and it changed it violet/blue using "Picture it!" with one click of the hue and saturation wheel, and the surroundings still looked normal. It wasen't until I really tweeked it purple that it looked totally nuked!

I'm often reminded of how much value people mistakenly put into what they see, especially in this hobby. Good image manipulation is really undetectable. Unfortunately if you aren't aware of what is possible in this day and age you're at the mercy of your senses.

retouching examples here...link

retouching in action...

No wonder our perception of everything, especially beauty, is warped

And it's only going to blur lines more in the future. This woman isn't even real, she's completely cgi.

here, goto portfolio, then before/after

photoshop.jpg

the possibilities are endless...needless to say, images are not reality. If you are STILL convinced your eyes do not lie, check out some optical illusions