Emerald525

Do you use the RO unit of the RO/DI  

1. 1.

• A:Yes but only the DI part of the unit
    • B:Yes both the RO and DI part of the unit
    • C:No I buy my water from a LFS
    • D:I use tap water only
    • E:Toilet water works for me ;)

You and me both. The only reason I was able to talk my husband into one, is because I told him exactly how much money he has put into my tank. It hit him through his wallet, and he decided he would shell out a little cash for a unit, rather than watch hundreds of dollars die slowly, due to poor water quality. I'm still not getting a unit till Jan. though because we are a 1 income house hold. I don't think I'll use the ro part, unless something else happens, that gives me reason to do so.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good to know, I'll try it maybe. I really want the ro/di unit now though. I'll probably just use the di part, but I'll feel better, and I really don't like prime, I have some sort of sort of complex about anything in a bottle, that's not a supplement. I know most things have a time and place, where when used correctly they're great. I'm new to this hobby though, and don't completely trust myself when it come to deciding if the situation I'm in is the right one to use something like prime for. I'll learn though, like we all do. Through trial and error, add some personal experience.

Good to know' date=' I'll try it maybe. I really want the ro/di unit now though. I'll probably just use the di part, but I'll feel better, and I really don't like prime, I have some sort of sort of complex about anything in a bottle, that's not a supplement. I know most things have a time and place, where when used correctly they're great. I'm new to this hobby though, and don't completely trust myself when it come to deciding if the situation I'm in is the right one to use something like prime for. I'll learn though, like we all do. Through trial and error, add some personal experience.[/quote']

You could always go with one of these http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+4395+4484&pcatid=4484

Its a pretty good DI filter that easy to hook up to the tap. you can also buy replacements cartridges for it. When I had my 120 I used 2 of these to fill the tank, 55gal sump.

As for what I use, I have an RO/DI HiS unit.

Thought about that veggie filter idea, I could raise some tang chow and copepods at the same time. This would be better for certain macros than a refugium because it would be run with no heater in a basement closet. Most of the Ogo, gracillaria and ulva I have tried wilt away in tropical temperature refugiums. I do have an HOT magnum for carbon to prefilter after the neutralizer does it's thing.

I have used prime treated portland water on SS grade red crystal shrimp with no mortality, so I think it's probably adequate, it's really easy to kill crystal shrimp with ammonia. They make coral look easy.

I think dismissing tap off the cuff is not always called for, but those with tricky sps tanks especially ultra low nutrient can't mess around with it. Our house also has new pex plumbing throughout so no copper or lead. I only fill the barrel off the cold tap the washer is on, after a load of clothes, so it's water that has not sat around in pex all day absorbing who knows what plastic residue. Then I let it sit a day to offgas the microbubbles.

Kate

I have 1 I can't find replacement cartridges for it

If your talking about the post I made they sell the replacement cartridges at the same site the link was for. they are priced for $22.99. You could probably find them local too.

I am with elektrokate here......always have used tap and don't see me wasting money on ro/di in the foreseeable future. It does kinda suck when the coral just keeps growing and growing....maybe I should switch to ro/di so I can slow this stuff down a bit....;)

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

I've switched over to using only Bling H20 and my tanks have never looked better.

expensive-water.jpg

I used to use that too Isaac. The problem is my fish started looking like this:

fish-pimp.gif

You guys kill me

Bling water-I suppose that is real and a pimped out fish-sporting diamonds on its grill or some gold perhaps or gold with diamonds

just googled bling water 55.00 per bottle-LMAO

For the peeps concerned about wasting the waste water have you thought about re-directing the waste into some barrels outside and using it for the yard and garden? I read about one guy who uses it to fill his washing machine for laundry.

In a hobby with some many variables it seems like a dead simple decision to invest (relatively cheaply I might add) in a device that controls one of those variables.