The 250g DD Experience

Harold B

Just finished reading the thread so far. Great build Harold. Can't wait to see how the rest of your build works out, particularly the electrical wall. I'm thinking of going for a controller myself and I'd want to do a similar thing.

Great stuff! (and no, that cup doesn't look that small to me, either :D)

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got my Ozone reactor in the mail yesterday. I had ordered it before Christmas and all the extra holiday mail slowed it way down so it was about 2 weeks late and not only that but they had broken it. Bummer. So the guy I ordered it from has already sent me a replacement through D H L which should be here in days. Its coming from the UK since the only reactors I could find (M T C) were like 3 or 4 hundred dollars and these are comparable (if not identical) for 1/4 the cost. I could've just made it, but this cost just slightly more than the materials would've cost me. So i'll be using a Luft air pump A Sander 200 mg/hr ozoniser into O3 reactor with my RKE controling it. As far as the carbon after the reactor I was thinking about putting the O3 reactor output through my GFO/Carbon reactor before going into the sump. But does anyone know if there could be a negative effect running ozonated water through GFO? If that turns out to be a bad idea i'll figure out another method of carbon filtration for the O3 reactor effulent.

Ozonestuff.jpg

Could you send me the info on the reactor, I've wanted one but found out the same on $$, too much. I found two DYI but they were not detailed enough to understand.

As far as Carbon in all that I've read a passive amount is fine, I run my ozone thru the skimmer, its return has its own filter sock with a bag of carbon, I've never had any problem with it.

Build looks good, like the tank room!

• 2 weeks later...

Well today I spent most of the day pulling all MH lighting and putting up all new Lumenarc III mini reflectors. I also took the opertunity to run the wiring behind the canopy that I needed to from seaswirls, moon lights, ect. I also started to re-route all wiring and probes and mount the RKE's modules to the side of my stand. I wasn't able to completely finish but i'll finisher up tomorrow morning. I got my RKE head unit back today and DA did a great upgrade to the BUS plug on the back, bigger and stronger. I also got my IOGEAR wireless USB hub so I can run MyReef all the time wirelessly. So as of now my whole RKE system (NET & SID) is wireless to my laptop. I'll post pics in the morning.

• 1 month later...

Well it's been awhile since I posted any kind of update so I figured I would put up a few pics of the tank as of now. It still is and probably always will be a "work in progress". I got two of the Aqua-mags recently and you can see them on the right side of the pic they're pretty cool.

FTS:fts3-5-11.jpg

The left side:lfts3-5-11.jpg

The right side:rfts3-5-11.jpg

Here's the newest addition,an Orange Shoulder Tang:Oshoulder.jpg

Here is one of my favorite pieces right now its a Purple Plasma from FF, dark purple/blue with neon green polyps, Krazy.BP.jpg

blueplasma.jpg

I had to fill my CO2 tank yesterday. First time i've had to do it,$18 and it lasted about 11/12 months.co2tank.jpg

I've gotten alot of growth on a tableing piece I got awhile ago. When I got it, it was brown and has since started to color up. Light purple with yellow and slight neon green at the verry tips.table2.jpg

table1.jpg

This piece was also verry brown when I got it. I actually paid $20 from Perry at OIAB for this. It has since started to color up and continue to grow. Dark purple tips and a lighter purple all over the rest of it. My camers skills are verry limited and these pics don't really do these justice. spscolony2.jpg

spscolony.jpg The base looks white but is actually light purple.

Ya some are actual purchased pieces and others are frags of bigger colonies I have that I either had to cut, or needed/wanted a back up of. Also been trying to prepare frags for trade/sell with friends and forum members so there will be "banked" frags of pieces I have and do not want to lose even if I have total Crash. Knock on Wood. I'm looking to set up a Frag tank in the verry near future so I don't have to have my main tank like this.

No I haven't but I have been researching the possibilities of using it. Do you use it? The only this is I would need another test kit. Which brand of potassium one do you use? (Zeovit one) What test kit? (I don't think there are to many options, i've only seen one) Thanks Harold

No I haven't but I have been researching the possibilities of using it. Do you use it? The only this is I would need another test kit. Which brand of potassium one do you use? (Zeovit one) What test kit? (I don't think there are to many options' date=' i've only seen one) Thanks Harold[/quote']

Yes i use it for my 100gal tank, sps will color up good! This is the brand i recommend Harold B Elos Professional Aqua Test Kit - Potassium.

Vin "Keep On Reefing"

Well got my new pump today:box.jpghh.jpgpump.jpg Man this is sweet can't wait to get it hooked up. This will take care of a couple spots that haven't been getting the flow they should even with 2 MP-40's. Reeflo has been a great company to deal with. After reading they're warranty in the papers that came with the new pump,they definately were not required (by warranty) to do what they did for me at all.

Would've liked to have drilled for a closed loop but just couldn't bring myself to start drilling this tank when I first got it. Plus I needed to get my livestock out of the temp. rubbermaid tub they had been in for a month. Couldn't wait.

• 3 weeks later...