The 250g DD Experience

Harold B

Well this one has a fixed water level and I should be able to get a permently stable ORP with less O3 and freeing up valuable space on the RKE. Only minor differences. How's things in your neck of the woods? I haven't been on here lately I had an oil cooler adapter gasket fail on my car and finally got it all fixed.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WOW! I just noticed that my water coming out of my RO unit to the DI is at 10 TDS. Time to put the filters that have been sitting around to use. I checked out the BRS site and they say that RO membranes usally last about 3 years. Is this True for us here in the Portland area? I changed my sediment filter and both carbon blocks and the DI resin is on its way. I've been using this RO/DI for just over a year 18 months max and flush it often, so my membrane should be ok, Right? How often do you all change your RO membranes?

I just swapped out my membranes this last month after almost 3 years of use.

Let me know how that avast ozone reactor runs. I have their swabbie on my skimmer and it is a great product. I currenlty run my ozone into my skimmer but would rather do a reactor. I had attempted to build one about a year ago but just couldn't get the pressure/water ratio right so I went back to putting it into the skimmer.

Will do. My SWC has an extra nipple on the volute for O3 but I couldn't bring myself to do it. After seeing how brittle it seems to make things, even when they are "ozone safe" i'm glad I chose the reactor route. I thought about getting the Swabbie,How does it work for ya? Pics? I run my skimmate into a gallon jug but I find myself cleaning off the inside of my cup every 2-3 days since it works alot better clean. I talked to Justin at Avast about getting one and was thinking about making a little water spraying system for when it wipes the cup( a piece of RO tube with holes on a timer), but he said it doesn't need it that it cleans it verry well on it's own. I'm curious to know your thoughts on the Swabbie. Thanks Harold

the swabbie works pretty good. I have it on a SRO 5000 cone skimmer and it cleans the neck about 4 times a day for a minute or so. I too have a couple gallon container with an auto shutoff incase of overflow and I can now leave the skimmer for a week or more without touching it. I do ALOT of carbon dosing so my skimmate is very dark and there is alot of it, I probably make 3 gallons a week! My only complaint is it is slightly hard to get it just centered so it cleans all of the way around the neck in 1-2 passes... it puts slightly more pressure on one side vs the other so I get a little build up every few days in just one spot. I have solved this by "spinning" the swabbie ever few days to a week to put the pressure in a different spot which will then clean the spot that wasn't getting pressure. (not sure if this makes ANY sense at all but it is pretty easy to do)

Ya it makes perfect sence. Have you ever tried to talk to Justin (avast) about that issue? There might be a fix for it, I know they do extensive testing so they might be able to help ya with it. So you do alot of carbon dosing along with O3? What exactly do you dose? I used MB-7 and Reef Bio-fuelbefore going with the O3 set-up with good results but I thought it was a one or the other kinda choice as to the main method of nitrafication/nutrient breakdown, bacterial or O3. I thought O3 limits the colonization of the "extra" bacteria that carbon dosing would promote.

No, you definately can use both... 0zone wont really do anything for your nitrate/phosphate besides break down the organics a little faster. I never really notice much difference with just ozone in nitrate/phosphate but it does produce crystal clear water!

I am currently dosing a vinegar/vodka mix and alot of it. I have gradually got up to over 200ml daily and have seen a great reduction in my nitrate from about 20ppm to less than 5 currently. I tried MB7 but didn't really notice a difference. All of the chemistry guru's on RC seem to think that the bacterial supplementation for carbon dosing is unecessary because the bacterial is already present in the system is sufficient quantities, and it makes sense... you are feeding the bacteria so that they reproduce, and in the process take in nitrate/phosphate for fuel to do so... pretty quickly you have PLENTY of bacteria as evidenced by the nasty dark skimmate being produced.

I didn't contact avast, just figured it was a fact of life. I probably could get it perfect but when I pull it off every week or so to clean it I would need to re-adjust it just right.... just too lazy to do it that way, lol.

• 6 months later...

Well it's been awhile and things have changed so i'm considering selling my set-up which will allow me to be able to move. Unfortunately a tank this big seriously limits what i'm able to rent. So I am wanting to gauge the intrest in my set-up. I wanted to start here with the PNWMAS site since it and it's members have been good to me. Let me know if you or someone you know might be interested in somthing like this. PM me. This is NOT for sale at this time just trying to see if ther would be people interested in a whole system like this or if I would have to part it out ect. Thanks everyone.

Well it's been awhile and things have changed so i'm considering selling my set-up which will allow me to be able to move. Unfortunately a tank this big seriously limits what i'm able to rent. So I am wanting to gauge the intrest in my set-up. I wanted to start here with the PNWMAS site since it and it's members have been good to me. Let me know if you or someone you know might be interested in somthing like this. PM me. This is NOT for sale at this time just trying to see if ther would be people interested in a whole system like this or if I would have to part it out ect. Thanks everyone.

Hey Harold I was wondering what happened to you. That's a very nice system you have. I have yet to see anyone be able to sell an entire big system on here. People just don't have that kind of cash available. You end up making more parting out a system and usually can lower the price on the actual tank. Good luck

Ya I kinda knew that but thought i'd at least throw the idea out there. I'm still around just been really busy' date=' and schools starting again now so it doesn't look to be slowing down anytime soon.[/quote']

I was looking for one of these about two weeks ago. Couldn't find one and ended up with a 8x2x2. Sorry to hear your getting out.