250g cube plumbing ideas

Harold B

Well the one i'm thinkin of pulling the trigger on has two corner overflows but thats it. 60 by 36 by 27

Is it a standard Marineland Deep Dimension tank?? I would just put a set of Vortechs or Tunzes on there. That can get really expensive drilling holes. What type of corals are you wanting to keep??

Unless it's already drilled for a closed loop then I would forgo it and put a couple of good powerheads in instead. No personal experience with the Vortech but they come highly recommended. The overflow drains I would plan out based on the planned return pump volume. If possible I would try to do a herbie style with 2 drains in each overflow. (A primary drain and an emergency drain)

OK so let me see if i'm hearing you all correctly. First off yes its the marineland DD 250g. So with the overflows that are there and the two little returns that pop out of he overflow piece (maybe 3/4) thats enough turnover for that size tank? I already have Vortech power on my 135g and I didnt think even 2 MP40's would be enough for a 250 I thought it would take like 2 MP60's or more. By the way it will be a mostly all SPS tank.

Harold, you want to run, with strictly SPS, at least 50x turnover, I've got a friend with a 180 who runs 65x turnover....The 2 returns, plus 2 MP40's should be more than enough turnover, but, you can look into getting 2 MP60's, that would be optimal if you can swing the cost.

Ya I know thier spendy its just that I have a 135 that I put a PCX 100 on for the return pump.(first tank) And even though thats a little to much flow running through my sump/refugium with that an MP40 and another powerhead of some kind I have been extremely happy with the benefits in water quality of everything I put into the tank being washed down into the sock within 2 to 3 min.

I would use a reeflo dart for the return pump with bean animal overflow setup in the overflows. Run the return lines back up the back of the tank and Y them off to have two lines in at the top rears and two at the top front. You can add seaswirls to them to add to the water motion if you want. Then run the mp40s in there(2 or 3) and you should have plenty of flow and turnover. The dart should have enough power to run a chiller and skimmer off of it too if you use 3 mp40s. That's how I would run it.

- love the idea of a closed loop with an oceansmotion but to do it right it takes up way too much room under the tank to plumb it.

Is this a peninsula style or view from the front? Are you adverse to having the Vortecs both on one side wall (the 36")? If you can, It would be a perfect application of a gyre flow system. You could look at mine if you like. My tank is 68X36X25. I am upgrading from 2 MP40 to 2 MP60 for several reasons (group buy?) Where is the sump going to be? Below tank or next room?

Ken

Nothing that shows the plumbing. Mine goes through the floor and into a room next door, so it would not help you. I use a Dart pump that also feeds the skimmer, carbon reactor, and small frag tank. A Snapper would work and they now come with both impellers so you could switch to a Dart if you want. I am not a fan of "random" flow. Just a waste of energy. The gyre is more efficient and you can switch the MP60 on a longer period (10-15 min) as opposed to the Mp40, which is 1 min and too short.