Thoughts on this light fixture?

lucid

No, what he meant by T5's was a MH/T5 combo, instead of the MH/CF combo.

And that fixture is only 4 bulbs, I'd highly recommend 6 bulbs minimum if you ever plan on keeping any kind of SPS.

And remember, if you are going to run a strictly T5HO fixture, make sure that it has individual reflectors instead of one contoured reflector.

the first light fixture you posted is definitely overkill for a 55g but you could use it on a larger tank like a 4' long 120g. when i buy equipment for this hobby i try to take into consideration if the equipment would work on a larger tank because in the future you might want to upgrade. i do agree that you should get T5 with MH vs power compact with MH or a minimum of a 6 bulb t5 fixture with individual reflectors like Mick suggested.

Honestly, that light for a 55 is a bit overkill...

the first light fixture you posted is definitely overkill for a 55g but you could use it on a larger tank like a 4' long 120g.

You guys really think so? I have a dual 250w Sunpod (500w total) over a 40b....I didn't think that was too bad....I would have figured that with the hieght of a 55 and having the fixture hung over the tank that 250w lighting would be fine?(scratch) You guys really think a dual 250w metal halide is too much for a tank that is 20+ inches tall...the common dims on a 55 are 48x12x20 right? I am really suprised that everyone thinks its overkill....(scratch) At 20" tall I would have thought a 250w metal halide would be perfect....

The ebay fixtures I think are knockoffs made in China, while cheap, they might work fine, but I was always told not to go cheapest route on lighting as its a important part of the system. I would make sure they are UL listed for saftey, often times they don't put good bulbs in them, so I would imagine you would want to change out the bulbs shortly after getting it.....Some people get them and think they are ok and usuable, but others seem to refer to them as junk....The price is apealing though....

I run dual 400w MH and four vho's over my 75g. I had 175w MH's and it just wasn't cutting it at all for me. I also have my lights positioned about 4" from the water so the corals are suntanning for sure. I get good color out of them though so I wouldn't change a thing.

Both of those lights are a good idea as far as an all in one setup is concerned. Price point wise at least but I have no clue about the quality of craftsman ship and bulbs. I personally don't like this type of setup though because it lets light into the room the tank is in and doesn't leave room for a hood. I have a big personal issue with light from my tank coming into the room. Some people could care less but it bugs me. I like my light for my tank to be used only for my tank. It's all a personal preference though...

Looking to get a good lighting set up for my 55 gallon tank' date=' and would like to have the ability to grow any type of coral in my tank. [url']http://cgi.ebay.com/48-4-ft-Metal-Halide-Aquarium-Reef-Marine-Light-760-W-/290475940902?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43a1b71c26[/url] . What are your thoughts on this fixture?

FWIW, I bought this exact same fixture for my tank and replaced the PC bulbs with T5's. I have a 75 gallon and the fixture before it was dual 150 watt MH w/T5's.

Great thing is a 90 gallon has the same footprint as the 55 and 75 so an upgrade later you are covered.

I'll tell ya though heat is an issue, but I have 80mm fans and a chiller so its "not an issue" but without them you'll have a nice "Jacuzzi"

If it was suspended it would work but you'll want something to place in front to shield the light.

I'd buy this fixture all over again, and then again.

Or you can get a coralife with the same wattage for 1200.00-(laugh)(laugh)(laugh)(laugh)(laugh)(laugh)(laugh)

Or a Geissmann for 2,000.00-(laugh)(laugh)(laugh)(laugh)(laugh)(laugh)(laugh)

For the money you are saving sell the 55 and buy a 90 plus this light-(clap)(clap)

MY tank is an open topped. So what kind of fixture am i looking to get? And does it have to be 48"? (The length of the tank). Ive also heard to stay away from a single reflector and get lights which each have their own reflector. Can someone post a picture of an ideal and optimal, affordable lighting solution for a 55g? Ive seen some 8 bulb T5 fixtures on ebay for 200, steer clear of those?

It's a fairly cheap unit but I've heard some decent reviews from those ones. I had the compact flourecent version of those when I first started and the only complaint I would have is the cheap bulbs. If you replace those you shoud be fine. I don't think they have individual reflectors though so that could pose a problem.