Just my luck..............

dippin61

So, my tank has been doing really good over the last few months. just bought some frags from joel the other day as well. Things been coloring up nicely and going real smooth. I was getting excited over my tank again.

Well yesterday, somehow the bracket for my fan, to keep the tank cool, that was hanging over my sump broke, and the fan fell into the sump. I couldnt get to it for probably an hour or so, but it it did trip my gfci, but, when i reset it, i didnt know the fan was in the sump, it came on and didnt reset right away, so who knows how long it took to trip the first time. But i noticed right away something was wrong and found my fan laying in the sump. DOH!

anyways, by the time i got the fan out, it had already started to rust. long story short, just about everything in my tank is dead or dying. Fish seem ok, but my zoa's, and all my sps are on their way out. my chesterfield didnt even make it thorugh the night. It completely RTN'd already. My oregon tort is horrible looking, my superman danae is dead, my stylo's are on the way out, the Upscales LE hispida is dead, both frags, and my milles are done for.

dunno if it was the current that ran though the tank, or oils from the fan, or some of the rust got into the water, but the outcome is sad. Since i dont have the money to start over, i'll most likely be breaking my tank down, and we'll just have my wifes FOWLR now. (sad) (sad) (sad)

So, my tank has been doing really good over the last few months. just bought some frags from joel the other day as well. Things been coloring up nicely and going real smooth. I was getting excited over my tank again.

Well yesterday, somehow the bracket for my fan, to keep the tank cool, that was hanging over my sump broke, and the fan fell into the sump. I couldnt get to it for probably an hour or so, but it it did trip my gfci, but, when i reset it, i didnt know the fan was in the sump, it came on and didnt reset right away, so who knows how long it took to trip the first time. But i noticed right away something was wrong and found my fan laying in the sump. DOH!

anyways, by the time i got the fan out, it had already started to rust. long story short, just about everything in my tank is dead or dying. Fish seem ok, but my zoa's, and all my sps are on their way out. my chesterfield didnt even make it thorugh the night. It completely RTN'd already. My oregon tort is horrible looking, my superman danae is dead, my stylo's are on the way out, the Upscales LE hispida is dead, both frags, and my milles are done for.

dunno if it was the current that ran though the tank, or oils from the fan, or some of the rust got into the water, but the outcome is sad. Since i dont have the money to start over, i'll most likely be breaking my tank down, and we'll just have my wifes FOWLR now. (sad) (sad) (sad)

You are welcome to bring any corals that you might think will make it and set them in my tank until you figure the problem out...I would be more then happy to do that... Also if there are any piece of a colony that do not look dead or dying you can frag those and bring them over.

• Like 1

You are welcome to bring any corals that you might think will make it and set them in my tank until you figure the problem out...I would be more then happy to do that... Also if there are any piece of a colony that do not look dead or dying you can frag those and bring them over.

thanks for the offer reefgeek, but unfortunately i dont think any of my pieces are gonna make it long enough for me to get to anything. Im at work now, and wont be able to tend to the tank until 6 or 7 tonight. I surmise, that by then everything will already be dead. Something in the water is killing stuff fast. although all my snails, fish, and even my porcelain crab look ok. but every coral looks bad. The zoas still wont open, mushrooms are shriveled. my brand new bright pink cap, looks to be holding on, but we'll see. the new valida frag i got is done for, the trumpet i just got also looks really deflated, a new monti digitata is holding on so far, but doesnt look good. so if the softies make it til tonight, ill prolly just throw them in my wifes tank. At least i got her new T5's for christmas.

i did a water change, and put extra carbon in, but its not helping. The water is getting cloudy as well.

man i cant believe this. my algae problems were almost completely cleared up, tank was doing really good, had a nice big GC to spend at upscales this weekend. but i cant blame anyone but myself. i made 2 huge mistakes.

1. Having the fan the way i did over my sump.

2. Using a 120v fan. DOH!

Thats cool of you, I'd take him up on that offer. See what you can save. Man that sucks, sucks so bad!!!! I know your pain, trust me.

Like i said see what you can save and there are a lot of ppl in this club that will help you out. I've been down that road.

I'm sorry to hear about this.

thanks for the offer reefgeek, but unfortunately i dont think any of my pieces are gonna make it long enough for me to get to anything. Im at work now, and wont be able to tend to the tank until 6 or 7 tonight. I surmise, that by then everything will already be dead. Something in the water is killing stuff fast. although all my snails, fish, and even my porcelain crab look ok. but every coral looks bad. The zoas still wont open, mushrooms are shriveled. my brand new bright pink cap, looks to be holding on, but we'll see. the new valida frag i got is done for, the trumpet i just got also looks really deflated, a new monti digitata is holding on so far, but doesnt look good. so if the softies make it til tonight, ill prolly just throw them in my wifes tank. At least i got her new T5's for christmas.

i did a water change, and put extra carbon in, but its not helping. The water is getting cloudy as well.

man i cant believe this. my algae problems were almost completely cleared up, tank was doing really good, had a nice big GC to spend at upscales this weekend. but i cant blame anyone but myself. i made 2 huge mistakes.

1. Having the fan the way i did over my sump.

2. Using a 120v fan. DOH!

Well I will be home tonight and you might be surprised what comes back if it is in a good tank...Just let me know, I am happy to help.

whats a good copper remover? and who locally has any? as in lfs. but if it was copper' date=' wouldnt my inverts be harmed?[/quote']

as far as i know, there is no copper remover...if it is copper...I have heard that it will soak into everything and slowing leak out, including LR...Yes shrimps and stuff do not do well...I think snails are hit or miss with it...I am sure any store has a copper test...but like I said you can barrow mine if you want to just see if you have copper in there...

Maybe run some carbon to catch some of the dying gunk. You'd be surprised at how bad some corals may look but come back, don't give up....keep it warm and clean it up the best you can. Can you get your lighting above your wife's tank for now and put the frags in there?

I've had a candy from Izzy that got fried by some pH up someone said to add, thought it was a gonner, but it's back and thriving. I also had a Kenya tree come back as well after using Ich Attack that melted it away to to foot; took over a month but life is coming back. Zoos close up under stress, but doesn't mean they're dead. I wouldn't just give up and take it all down without trying a cleanup.

• Like 1

well.. im sure at least some of my corals are dead dead. my chesterfield took the hit the worst. It is actually all skeleton now. No color, no polyps, just white skeleton. the oregon tort has turned an ugly ugly brown, with the tips and corralites already bleached and down to the skeleton. my green and bright pink stylos are bleached. the pink cap is partly bleaching, no polyps. the validas are almost gone. my deep purple stag is poo brown and stn'ing from the middle. my superman danae is partly bleached with no polyps and the skeleton is starting to show. the purple digitata i just picked up is bleaching, the trumpet is deflated looking. the pink/blue mille brownout from joels is bleached. all 3 frags of my USCE hispida are dead and skeletons. mushrooms are clenched up, and the zoas are all closed.

snails, fish, and crabs seem to be okay however. i did up the carbon a bit, maybe i should put more in, i used a quarter tub of the matrix. maybe i should up it to half of the container?

my lights wouldnt really fit on my wifes tank, she has a 40 gallon bowfront open top. my MH's are in my canopy made for a 55g, along with the vho's.

jeez this sucks

Dang. Keep your head up. Some of the stuff will bounce back like Ron stated. I've been thru the same thing.

I have a 2gal bucket full of these.

P5220006.jpg

You made me fell better, makes me not sound like I'm blowing it out my arse with still being fairly new to Salt :) (with not working, I read up a lot too)

If you do nothing and take them out, then you'll never know what may come back, but surely they'll be dead if you do. Keep a close eye on the fish too, stress can show effects on them days later.

I don't know if there is such a thing as putting too much carbon in a tank in an emergency? I would think toxins would be floating around the water from corals, may want to change out frequently. Do you have a small micron filter sock or canister filter that takes out the gunk? I know my canister filter cleared out my tank within hours of putting new sand in and just sprayed it off (24 micron). I don't know if your local LFS has a filter sock better than 50.

I'd also do some water changes as well and keep some ready.

From reading other people's threads of your dreaded nightmare, I would put the fish in a safer place like your wife's tank.

yeh.. i would think the fish would be better off in my wifes tank, but she has a yellow wrasse and 2 clowns. throwing in my yellow tail damsels, firefish, and tang may be too much, and cause even more stress.

its just so disheartening. My tank went into a decline for a few months when i had my old job, everything browned out. My colors are (were) finally back and things were growing again. Then this happens.

i do use a canister for my carbon. maybe i should pick up some of those pads for the inside and run it for a few hours. Maybe throw my filter sock back on my pipe into the sump.

so you cant overdose carbon? ok.. wasnt sure, i dont really use carbon all that much, but i had a whole container for a 200g tank just in case. i normally just use purigen lately.

so you cant overdose carbon? ok.. wasnt sure' date=' i dont really use carbon all that much, but i had a whole container for a 200g tank just in case. i normally just use purigen lately.[/quote']

That you may want to research, but I'm thinking the fact of how much stuff is floating around, that probably isn't good.

thanks for the offers guys.. making me tear up :p

ill have to wait til i get off work and go check to see how the tank is doing. I opted not to turn the MH on today before i left to help ease some of the stress. but things didnt look good before i left. but we'll see. im gonna pick up some batteries for my cam on my way home, and i'll throw up some pics.

doing some research now on carbon. and have salt water mixing at home. i generally use NSW so i dont need much on hand, maybe 10g at the most at any given time. so i might pick one of those up and do a little water change, then do a huge one when the SW is ready.

Hey I can house any corals you need housing,,, Ill hook up with a replacement Valida as well (if I still have any when you make it back in, still have 3 colonies and frags).

Also, I have a copper remover, its made by Seachem its called Cuprisorb. it absorbs copper and heavy metals. Brandon is correct, the rock etc will absorb the copper as well, so the quicker you get something in there the better. I sell it for $14, its prebagged you just drop it in.

http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=SC3275

thats a big container, this is 1000ml

Still have a chance on severall it looks, carbon good. I would keep up the water changes, and change the carbon in 3 days. It's an ER situation your using it under. It will be pulling out a lot of crud/meltdown. Remove any sponges/ filtering material that you can and replace, not reuse. The oil/copper, and who knows what. Will attach to anything and everything. Tomorrow, if you can, clean everything you can. Don't panic. I'm sure a lot of us will help you restock, when the time comes. Keep us posted. I also have a tank setup and running that has nothing in it, if you need a temp home for corals or fish. :)