Just my luck..............

dippin61

I asked Joel if he's been reading posts today and hadn't yet. Mentioned your issue by Dippin and remembered, hey he just bought some frags too the other day. Just out of curiosity, do people ever mention their real names in the stores, or do the LFS guys/gals say hey Nu2, Reeferguy, Dippin etc. etc. when you walk in the door? :)

I asked Joel if he's been reading posts today and hadn't yet. Mentioned your issue by Dippin and remembered' date=' hey he just bought some frags too the other day. Just out of curiosity, do people ever mention their real names in the stores, or do the LFS guys/gals say hey Nu2, Reeferguy, Dippin etc. etc. when you walk in the door? :)[/quote']

haha.. travis knows me, cuz he knew my wife before we met. joel just says "whats up man" :p .. but yeh, ive told him what my screen name here is, but i really dont expect him to remember my name, just cuz of the amount of people he prolly deals with. but he does remember things i bought from him, like the brown out i got from him about 6 weeks ago.

its just weird.. all my snails and crabs are ok. no signs what so ever, but most my corals are just struggling. from what ive read so far, copper is really harsh on inverts. so im thinking it was probably more from oils and lubricants in the fan then the copper.. although i guess it could be rust too. inside the fan is completely rusted out.

couldnt find a copper kit close to me ( i live out in cornelius.. west of hillsboro) so i wont be able to get one til tomorrow.

oh.. and my poor tort.. this was the only frag of it that survived my little tank neglect a few months back. my larger better frag died. this was just the little nub that was left on the plastic tee after i cut it for its main frag. half had stn'd but stopped once my tank got back in shape, and the color was just now starting that awesome blue color it used to have. poor thing

will do ccr.. thanks for all the help guys. i really appreciate it.

tort.jpg

ok.. definately a film on the water. my skimmer is already as high as it can go without pulling straight SW. And man is it going crazy. it is bubbling like this is the last time it will ever get to bubble. And its still pulling dark gunk. So i might be lucky and not have much copper in, and might be able to take steps to minimize that. So most likely we're talking oils and lubricants in the water. i just added a little more carbon. bout all i can do tonight. light about to go off. i'll have time tomorrow to get out to an lfs to get some tests and the like. and will be doing a big water change tomorrow. did a little one tonight with the water i had ready.

keep your fingers crossed :p

Dude, you have a great chance for recovery...I would highly recommend taking them to someone who has a stable tank, until you get that one under control...but your looking good...

Joel, is the copper remover fairly new to the market? I have not really researched anything about copper in quite sometime...That is cool that there is a remover...

yeh.. i think ill just move stuff over to my wifes tank, and maybe set up my extra 20g for my fish. i could prolly even do it in the dark.

should i drip acclimate them or just put em in? if i drip, prolly wont have time tonight.

Depends on what would be more stressful to the fish, leave them in stew or clean brew. I've read both sides of the story on dripping and everything in between. I've done both and had good luck both ways. From my reading, it's easier for the fish to aclimate to a lower specific gravity than it is for them to go to something higher. Just keep in mind if you've got tangs, they'll drop down and play dead. I learned that the scary way :)

I'm surprised your fan wasn't sealed.

That Petsmart out there may have copper tests, I've seen them out here, but call first since Clackamas has more salt variety than others.

Your in for a full blown cleaning. When you do your next water change. Shut it all down. Let the water settle for a few minutes, so the oils will rise. take hose and drain off water by sucking just under the surface with the nozzel faceing up, your gona get some air, but your after getting the "slick" out. This stuff will be all over everything. Scrape the glass. The corals are probably suficating, get them out and swish them. If removing corals, or fish. Keep the tank running, or you will be removing them through the slick, and coating them. If you had clean Straw, hay, I would but it in a bag and let it act as a sponge to pull some of the oil off the surface, as they do in an oil spill. Keep us posted

a cheap test kit (petsmart) for copper is going to do you zero good. it will have no where near the resolution you will need to find tiny traces. Even using a salifert if you detect even the slightest tiny bit, its WAY to much for inverts and corals.

I honestly doubt copper would be your big issue, I think heavy metals and ammonia from the power being out are your biggest threats. I would put some ammo detox of some kind in and get some of the seachem heavy metal remover like I stated earlier. Brandon, its not a new product, but its not a wonder product either, you cant treat your tank with copper and throw this in and make it all better, its more designed for situations like this where it was just put in into the water and you have a chance to remove it before it saturates into the rock etc.

From beginning to end of this thread.. it went from dreary outcome to alot of promise.

I hope everything is coming along and you have a good recovery.

I got teary eyed reading this thread...

I will stay away from clipping a fan on my sump, you have taught us a very important lesson.

On a funny note.. I have one of those clip on fans on my headboard above my head.. alot of people would say it wouldnt hurt anything if it fell on my head!

Tammy

hehe.. sorry guys.. been in the tank all day. just did a 15g water change, (30g WC so far all together today, 40g since last night), will do another 15 in a couple hours. got most of the walls, ph's, overflow box all scrubbed, and got most of the brown crap off. Also blew out my rocks just in case. moved over some corals to wifes tank, the zoa's opened almost immediately, i opted to just throw those in with no acclimation, figuring the water would be better in her tank anyways. temps, ph, and sg all match for both our tanks, so that was easy enough.

skimmer is still going crazy, and the receding seems to have stopped. although most are still struggling. suprisingly, ive got a little PE on the purple monti. not much, but its a start.

ill be pulling out every powerhead and pump i have and giving them all a bath as well. as well as pulling the overflow box and cleaning that too.

ive got enough carbon in atm for a 100g tank, and plan to change it either tonight or tommorrow. figure it couldnt hurt. the water smell is also starting to improve.. dunno if i mentioned it was getting stinky, well not stinky, but different.. ran some tests, most are well within my ranges, ammonia is up a bit, but is being worked on now.

last night my skimmer produced a full cup of its collection cup. (filled it's collection cup) . it was one of the weirdest smells ive ever smelled. not exactly rank, but whoa, it was pungent.

so thats where im at now, just gonna kind of wait for a few hours, then do another WC of 15g. as it looks now, doesnt look like i'll lose everything. Ive already lost a few, but hey, it coulda been worse.

thanks again everyone for all your help! ill post in a bit with an update.

Yeh, the skimmate was one of those smells, where it kinda smells familiar, but you cant quite put your finger on it, but it smells bad at the same time. normally i can just wash the gallon tub i use to pull skimmate out a couple times and the smell goes away, this time i had to wash it out with hot water like 10 times, and it still smelled. so i tossed it lol.

well. dinner time, after dinner i'll get on the tank again, and let you guys know!

thanks again!

On a funny note.. I have one of those clip on fans on my headboard above my head.. alot of people would say it wouldnt hurt anything if it fell on my head!

Tammy

It took me a second, but I got it, funny! I've been nervous for months about my lighting above my sump and QT tank and someday soon before they fall in, I better take some steps to lock them on...knock on wood.

dunno if i mentioned it was getting stinky, well not stinky, but different.. ran some tests, most are well within my ranges, ammonia is up a bit, but is being worked on now.

last night my skimmer produced a full cup of its collection cup. (filled it's collection cup) . it was one of the weirdest smells ive ever smelled. not exactly rank, but whoa, it was pungent.

Hope you saved a jar full for Tammy, she likes to whiff that sort of thing; like a moth to a flame :). I didn't think of it earlier, but it couldn't hurt to have some Amquel+ handy to detoxify a dangerous spike in ammonia/nitrite and/or nitrates.

Alright Ron,

I dont believe I said I 'liked' to smell it, I think I just said I smell it. The reason I smell it is to see how strong of smell it is, then I know my skimmer is working good. Of course usually the darkness of it alone will tell you that its working I think.

I was called a hardcore woman for doing it! I think it was hardcore just to admit it!

Some where either on this forum or RC, there was a thread on what people admitted they do with their tanks, was pretty funny and gross at the same time.

Good idea on the Amquel! I have that just in case.

um.. doesnt everyone smell their skimmate? :confused: ive always smelled mine lol. (laugh) (laugh)

anyways, yeh the amquel is what im using. also just threw a poly pad in just in case as well. cut one in half and threw it in the sump.

water has cleared, and things seem to have stopped declining. I wont know the full death toll for a couple days, some are hanging on, others arent.

well.. good and bad news.. the chesterfield is about done. it has 2 polyps left that open, but its not enough to frag, the rest of the skeleton is already growing algae. The pink cap doesnt look like it'll make it either. The valida is hit or miss.. not enough to frag, but still barely hanging on. the purple monti, heck, doesnt even look like it was bothered. neon green stylo, still really bleached, but looks like it'll make it. The bright pink stylo, a little dark now, but looks like itll pull through. The oregon tort.. well.. dunno yet, still really really brown, almost to the point of red. but still hangin in. purple stag.. looks horrible, bleached on the top of the corralites, and still doo doo brown, but might make it.

the danae.. well. who knows.. almost no color, but still alive. all my hispida frags are dead.

zoas still closed (what i have left in the tank), fish, crabs, snails and mushrooms all doing ok.