2 days okay without food?

Jules

I can't find anything about how long specific fish go without food and before I buy an automatic fish feeder right now, I was wondering if 2 maybe 3 days is okay for 3 fish and a shrimp to go without food. 2 chromis and a Blenny. I bought a light timer for the lights for them, but will feel bad if that is too long for them to go without food. (sad)I will feel bad anyway but not as much if they will be just fine. :)

Not sure about the blenny, but Im sure the Chromis would do fine if they are healthy. I had one live in a rubbermaid container for 8 days without food, heat or circulation. (Forgot about him during a move.) Re-acclimated and the thing kept on a ticking.

2 or 3 days will be fine Jules. I know what you mean though, I like my fish well fed and happy.:D

we have done that on long weekends for camping trips and they have done fine.

I have heard of more problems with automatic feeders dumping to much food which is far more problematic.

I think that 2 days or more would be fine. I know some people who only feed their tank 1-2x a week...

Yeah I have read that too, thought it might be the type of fish they have. (scratch)

Not sure about the blenny' date=' but Im sure the Chromis would do fine if they are healthy. I had one live in a rubbermaid container for 8 days without food, heat or circulation. (Forgot about him during a move.) Re-acclimated and the thing kept on a ticking.[/quote']

8 days! (laugh) (not funny then I'm sure) poor thing, they are pretty tough fish from what I see in mine. My Blenny is a bicolor Blenny and it seems to peck at the rocks more than it eats food I put in there. Not sure how much it is really eating. There is some chaeto and a little caulerpa in there as well.

2 or 3 days will be fine Jules. I know what you mean though, I like my fish well fed and happy.:D

we have done that on long weekends for camping trips and they have done fine.

I have heard of more problems with automatic feeders dumping to much food which is far more problematic.

Yeah, I was worried about that too, coming home to a cloudy tank w/dead fish (sad)

Thanks

Ya, Ive gone a week on vacation without feeding and nothing went wrong. I did thatr because I went on a week vacation before that and had someone come by and feed my fish and inform me of what the tank was doing and I didn't hear anything so I was thinking that everything was good, when I got home most of my corals were dead. No apparent reason, just dead. I vowed after that to not trust anyone but me for my tank.

I can understand not trusting others to take care of a reef tank. I do read, that too often someones tank gets ruined for some reason after it is put in someone else's hands.

I started feeding mine every other day but i saw a drop in the activity of the various mini stars and pods (some bristle worms) and I kind of like to see them running around doing stuff. Especially when i feed and all the arms come sticking out of the rocks and sand. Not to mention I felt bad when i go up to the tank and they get all excited...:D I do need to find some new type of food but will work on that in another thread. ;)

I think I can sum this up to letting them go and they will be just fine. I really appreciate the responses. Feel free to keep on telling the stories though, I like to hear them. I don't think anyone can top Nate 213 though! LOL Or can they? :D

They can stay without food for weeks, especially if you have a well sized fuge. That is what happens in nature.

I leave mines for weeks when me and Jamie travel to Europe.

My trigger survived some "acclimation" in my skimmer collection bucket. Then he had a 2 hours trip attached to a piece of live rock, without water. That was a bad as* trigger :-)

I vowed after that to not trust anyone but me for my tank.

I have trusted people from here with my tank when I went on vacation. Undrtkr_00 has watched my tank several times while I have been away. Never any problems, and I trust him to watch after my tank like it is his own... except that one time when... Just kidding :)

dsoz

I have on the occasion forgotten to feed for nearly 2 weeks. I wouldn't recommend doing that on a regular basis, but they will survive as long as they're healthy coming into it.

Besides, periods of fasting or food shortage are normal natural events. Aren't we all about simulating nature? ;-)

I have trusted people from here with my tank when I went on vacation. Undrtkr_00 has watched my tank several times while I have been away. Never any problems, and I trust him to watch after my tank like it is his own... except that one time when... Just kidding :)

dsoz

Ya, my experiance with others taking care of my tank while I'm away happened years ago before I was a member of the forum. I do however need to befriend someone in the gresham area that I could trust for upcoming vacations to check on topoff water and such. Is there anyone in the gresham area that has a couple kids that would like to hang out, the GF says we need married friends with kids to hang with. Her kids are 5 and 11.

As for feeding, I used to only feed every couple days but I have found that my fish seem healthier and corals seen to grow more when I feed daily, I even sometimes feed twice a day but that only happens about 2 or 3 times a month.

....I think people have more problems when they overfeed....

I agree. When I was feeding daily I had a hard time keeping nitrates in check. Since I switched to just feeding once every two or three days the entire tank appears healthier (fish and corals alike).

Like everyone says the fish should be fine going 3 days without food. But i do believe an automatic feeder can work great as long as you know how to control the amount of food it dispenses. I have one setup on my tank to add flake twice a day and i've never had a problem with it. I have some fish(lyretail anthia) that need to be fed more than once a day so it's really a necessity.

Well they all did just fine, I was gone for 2 and a half days. Everyone was still alive and kicking. Thanks everyone I didn't worry about them either :) If I do get an auto feeder for a longer trip, I will get it a week in advance just to be sure it works right.