Kaneohe Bay pictures.

AC-k3v

I was going to show a few to mytshall since we were talking about Zoas in the wild. I figured i would post the pictures i took while snorkeling in Kaneohe Bay.

I bought a Olympus point & shoot (underwater) last year. Went out to a place where a few of my mother colonies were collected to test it out.

KBAY_001.jpg

Some weird 3 foot long sea slug... eeewww!

KBAY_002.jpg

Not Bleached. just one of the lame color SPS we have in Hawaii.

KBAY_003.jpg

Coraline shot...

KBAY_004.jpg

KBAY_005.jpg

KBAY_006.jpg

KBAY_007.jpg

KBAY_008.jpg

There are some coral heads here the size of a SUV.

KBAY_009.jpg

KBAY_010.jpg

KBAY_011.jpg

KBAY_012.jpg

KBAY_014.jpg

I took my Olympus 1030 sw to Maui and it's rated to go down to 30feet. I took some under water pics too but your seemed to look better. I think I have to play with the white balance little more. I was at the marine recerve today looking at tide pools and took some pictures of some zoos too. They are small polyp kind, like japanese deep water. Sorry for miss spelling, I am on the iPhone.

Nice picks by the way Kevin.

My exwife's family lives in Kaneohe, it's whare she's from, they live up on the hill to the right as your looking at the bay on the boat ramp. It is a beautifull place! I would love to go again! Maybe someday. Great pic's and as always it dosnt do it justice

My girlfriend has been to Hawaii 3 times but I have yet to go. She keeps telling me I'll love it there. I keep telling her I'll spend the whole time under water! These shots are just more fuel to the fire of why I would rather stay under water while there... Thanks for sharing

HOT stuff! My dad has one of those Olympus cameras and they are great! I can't wait to get to someplace tropical so that I can do a bit of underwater photography with it. Works well in the tanks too. I am incredibly envious of your home! Great place to be into the hobby though I would imagine it is difficult to not want to collect everything that catches your eye!

You said that you could collect zoas... Can you collect fungia? Are they considered "reef building" even though they are free living?

So you are saying if I went to those locations that it would be illegal for me to collect the zoas that are there. If there was a local there, would they be able to collect them for me and give/sell them to me?

Me and my wife are planning a trip there in the summer of 2011. It would be nice if I had a local tell all the good places to go snorkel/SCUBA dive.

Thanks

dsoz

My girlfriend has been to Hawaii 3 times but I have yet to go. She keeps telling me I'll love it there. I keep telling her I'll spend the whole time under water! These shots are just more fuel to the fire of why I would rather stay under water while there... Thanks for sharing

You should definitely take the trip! Just get in touch with me before you do. Here are some pics that may keep you out of the water.

kualoa002.jpg

kualoa008.jpg

kualoa011.jpg

kualoa019.jpg

MTP02.jpg

002.jpg

015.jpg

CI-027.jpg

CI-026.jpg

HK_01.jpg

HK_02.jpg

Honolulu.jpg

flower002.jpg

CI-001.jpg

Sorry, taking pictures is another hobby of mine...

You said that you could collect zoas... Can you collect fungia? Are they considered "reef building" even though they are free living?

I've traveled this road already with the state. When they die they leave a skeleton. For this reason the state considers them reef building. I guess the technically are.

So you are saying if I went to those locations that it would be illegal for me to collect the zoas that are there. If there was a local there' date=' would they be able to collect them for me and give/sell them to me?[/quote']

It is illegal to take anything out of the water without a permit. Except live sand. Even as a local you need at least an aquarium permit.

Me and my wife are planning a trip there in the summer of 2011. It would be nice if I had a local tell all the good places to go snorkel/SCUBA dive.

Thanks

dsoz

Look me before you come. I can take you to the non-tourist spots to see the real reefs.

AC-Kevin

Are those pic's of the tide pools at "Sharks Cove"? I got to drive by there but wasnt able to stop. I heard lots about it though and how the ex used to go allot as a child. I so wanted to see it but she hadn't seen her family in over 10 years and that took priority.

Are those pic's of the tide pools at "Sharks Cove"? I got to drive by there but wasnt able to stop.

This one is Pupukea (aka Shark's Cove) at low tide.

CI-026.jpg

My daughter (3 year old) loves it there. Its also one of the few places on the North Shore that is fairly calm all year round.

She loves tide pools! This is what we collected on Saturday. Brittle Stars, Zebra Hermits, and some Hawaiian Turbos.

TidePool.jpg

Kevin