Green BTA deflating all the time?

NoobtoSalt

sorry chewie, I use API test strips. I assume this is ok? If not any suggestions on this would be great.

I stopped by the shop I got it at today and they said they are having the same thing go on with the other two green BTA's there as well. From what it sounds like these guys like a lot more light than what I have, and wouldn't you know it I guess it was right. I just got home and it decided to climb up the wall of the tank and it's at the water line so I'm guessing my lights just aren't going to cut it with this guy. I can't really justify 500 for a new balast with MH so I think I might have to get rid of this guy..

sorry chewie, I use API test strips. I assume this is ok? If not any suggestions on this would be great.

I stopped by the shop I got it at today and they said they are having the same thing go on with the other two green BTA's there as well. From what it sounds like these guys like a lot more light than what I have, and wouldn't you know it I guess it was right. I just got home and it decided to climb up the wall of the tank and it's at the water line so I'm guessing my lights just aren't going to cut it with this guy. I can't really justify 500 for a new balast with MH so I think I might have to get rid of this guy..

If it's climbing the tank to find more light then I wouldn't take any drastic measures. Be sure your parameters are good and if it isn't eating larger chunks then I would try some smaller stuff like mysis. Don't worry if it doesn't eat every day. (I feed my fish once every 2 or 3 days and the anemone gets whatever the clown takes it at that time) Since it's moving around it indicates that it is responding to the light (or currents) and trying to find itself a good spot.

How long do you run the lights? Maybe add an hour to them and see if that helps.

I'd at least take a sample to SWF and have your nitrates tested with an Elos kit. Personally, I don't care much for the API strips.

Your anemone's behavior suggests to me that it could be a Heteractis Magnifica. If it is a H. Mag, you definitely don't have enough light.

Usually new BTA's disappear and hide from the light for the first week or so until you find a spot they like.

Be careful if it's walking around your tank. You don't want the nem to get sucked into a powerhead.

I can't really justify 500 for a new balast with MH so I think I might have to get rid of this guy..

2 x 150 halides in the classifieds now is only $175. It would be better than what you have (4 T5 bulbs), but a 2 x 250w would be better, or a 2 x 400w may be overkill for that size tank.

My anemones are in a 40b with a 150w DE pendant. They love life, but they are only 4-6 inces under the water line. Also, the 150w pendant that I have does not have good enough spread to cover the whole 40b tank. There are some dark shadows for 1/3 of the tank.

dsoz

I'd at least take a sample to SWF and have your nitrates tested with an Elos kit. Personally, I don't care much for the API strips.

Your anemone's behavior suggests to me that it could be a Heteractis Magnifica. If it is a H. Mag, you definitely don't have enough light.

Usually new BTA's disappear and hide from the light for the first week or so until you find a spot they like.

Be careful if it's walking around your tank. You don't want the nem to get sucked into a powerhead.

Yeah just looking at some of the pics it looks a lot like that one. I'd like this thing to stay healthy so I think I may end up getting rid of it. I'd hate for it to die from my stupidity on not having the right lighting. I checked again with the API strip just now when I got home and same thing everything is fine. The one thing I did notice is that it says that these anenomes need lots of water flow. He happens to be on the complete other side from where my water pump is so maybe he's just not happy with the water flow either. I am so glad that I joined this forum! You guys are a lot of help!

I've become addicted to this site!

post-6291-141867753729_thumb.jpg

So it ate this morning. first time in over a week. From what I understand it's ok to feed them once a week as they eat other stuff throughout the week from leftovers in the tank. I am leaning more and more towards getting rid of it though just for the fact that I don't have the funds for the proper lighting to keep him going the right way. I will keep you guys posted and thanks for all the help!

Probably a dumb questions but I assume you work at SWF chewie? I haven't figured out everyone's screen names yet..

I don't have the funds for the proper lighting to keep him going the right way.

If you've had that nem less than a week, it is not your fault. Nor is your lighting inadequate. Sure, it may do better under more light but it's not crucial.

That is indeed a BTA. Looks like it went through an overflow/pump intake or intentionally "fragged".

It looks starved(glad you got it to eat). Feed it again tomorrow, and every other day for the next month or so. Then go back to 1x per week.

Try to find a spot for it to attach so that it's foot can dig into a crevice under an overhang.

If you keep feeding it it should perk back up in no time.

Yes, I work @ SWF on Sundays. Stop by and say hi sometime and bring me a water sample.

If you've had that nem less than a week, it is not your fault. Nor is your lighting inadequate. Sure, it may do better under more light but it's not crucial.

That is indeed a BTA. Looks like it went through an overflow/pump intake or intentionally "fragged".

Well then I guess it is my fault because I've had it for about a month...lol.

I was at the shop the other day and found out that he splits them once in awhile. Not sure if this one was done that way but I think I'm going to refrain from saying from where since I like the guys there...(whistle)

But I will just keep offering it some food and see where it takes me.

Thanks again

Nothing wrong with "fragging" but usually it is a good idea to let the fully regenerate tentacles before selling. Less problems that way.

I say keep it! Let's see what you can do with it.

I'll bet that in 2-3 months you'll have a nice healthy BTA.