I've had it!

kilmca

Well i've finally had it with my Sixline Wrasse. IMO never get one because eventually they will turn on you and become aggressive. My Sixline Wrasse caused my Bannana Wrasse to jump from the tank tonight. I've had the BW for about 4 months and the Sixline never paid any attention to it until recently. In the last week the Sixline had started to chase the BW only when the actinics are on at the end of the light cycle. I didn't think it was that big of a deal since the BW was still really fat and it never would hide, it just had to avoid the Sixline for about an hour while the actinics were on. Well I was wrong cause the BW jumped out tonight and my wife found it on the floor. I have the tank covered with light diffuser but it found a way thru. My wife found our one dog playing with the fish and the dog left it alone when my wife yelled at her but then my wife went to go get a net to pick the fish up and our second dog found it and ate it. She said it was definitely dead before the second dog ate it so it wasn't that big of a deal.

The Banana Wrasse was a always out, very active and it's colors were getting better everyday. Only problem with them is they get big and eat inverts so eventually that would become an issue but i was planning to remove the shrimp i have in the tank. pic below was taken back in January so it wasn't representative of it's coloration before death.

4299337386_153413b59b_b.jpg

I currently have two six lines in my tank. Both are about 4-5" one about 3/4" smaller then the other but otherwise identical (Male/Female?) They have been together for at least 4-5 months (before I bought the tank) and have always been good citizens. they leave all the corals, inverts and fish alone. they just take turns playing follow the leader. But, recently my Clowns have been gaurding their torch coral very closely being very aggressive and acting like they want to breed. Well the wrasses think its great fun to tease the little male clown by swimming back and forth just outside the reach of the torch coral untill he gets so mad he comes out and bites one of them. (It is really funny just, not to the clown)

I was wanting to find my wrasses a new home just so my clowns would calm down and breed. But by hearing everybody elses experiances its sounds like that might be a challange.

I also have a Melanurus and the Sixline doesn't mess with him cause he's probably 3 times the size of the Sixline. The Sixline did attack the Melanurus when i first added it but the Melanurus chased the Sixline so that aggression didn't last long.

I won't ever have a 6-line (that is until I give into temptation and get one, but that has not happened yet).

I was just starting to think about getting a wrasse for the anemone tank because the flatworms have migrated to it too. I think I will just invest in some FWE instead. :) Thanks Calvin for keeping me on the "No-wrasse wagon"

dsoz

I won't ever have a 6-line (that is until I give into temptation and get one, but that has not happened yet).

I was just starting to think about getting a wrasse for the anemone tank because the flatworms have migrated to it too. I think I will just invest in some FWE instead. :) Thanks Calvin for keeping me on the "No-wrasse wagon"

dsoz

Yo mad scientist, get ya a Melanarus, you can't ask for a better more chill fish.

• 3 weeks later...

Look what I caught! I finally got around to making a coke bottle trap and putting a damsel in it to try and catch the sixline. Funny thing is the damsel got out of the trap within a couple hours a putting the trap in the tank. I was fed up with the damsel getting out and just left the trap in the tank. The next day I was checking out the tank and there was the Sixline in the trap. No food or anything, I guess it's good they are curious fish. Now I can consider getting some new small fish as long as the damsel isn't aggressive. It's a black and white striped damsel and it was in the refugium with a clown and Atlantic Blue Tang and it never showed any aggression, hopefully it stays that way.

4558067106_5a98d4a2d4_b.jpg

Nice Catch, good day of fishing (laugh). I had the same luck with the Grouper, I put the trap in and was just going to wait a few days before trying to bait him, luckily I had ran the trip line across the tank to the counter. I was doing dishes and looked over to watch him swim right into the trap, he kept swimming around inside while I scrambled to grab the line, Got em!