Captive bred mandarin gobies soon commercially available from ORA

andy

I knew as soon as Matt Wittenrich bread them successfully a couple of years ago that it was only a matter of time. Personally I would probably wait a short time before trying to acquire these as I am sure ORA is going to charge a premium for them initially. I would think that as time progresses that these mandarins will typically cost a little more than wild caught fish but the peace of mind knowing that they are weaned to frozen foods will make it worth it.

I knew as soon as Matt Wittenrich bread them successfully a couple of years ago that it was only a matter of time. Personally I would probably wait a short time before trying to acquire these as I am sure ORA is going to charge a premium for them initially. I would think that as time progresses that these mandarins will typically cost a little more than wild caught fish but the peace of mind knowing that they are weaned to frozen foods will make it worth it.

Actually talking to Garrett he said he has had about a ~85% success rate in weaning mandarins he has ordered onto frozen food.

NICE! I'd love to have one in my 29g but have not wanted to risk it for fear of starving the little guy. This sounds like a great solution. A target dragonet would be a great addition.

I'm surprised you would be worried Brian. I thought with that refugium of yours with all that macro that your tank would be swarming with pods!!! Or are you more worried about his tankmates?

I'm surprised you would be worried Brian. I thought with that refugium of yours with all that macro that your tank would be swarming with pods!!! Or are you more worried about his tankmates?

Yeah, in my 110g I have a really nice mandarin dragonet I got from JasonH. He is fat and happy. In fact, I have pods swarming on the glass now, so he won't starve anytime soon. But, I have a 29g at work that I'd like to put a target dragonet into, (no refugium) but I am afraid they wouldn't last long there - especially because I have a sixline wrasse that munches on pods, etc.

Yeah' date=' in my 110g I have a really nice mandarin dragonet I got from JasonH. He is fat and happy. In fact, I have pods swarming on the glass now, so he won't starve anytime soon. But, I have a 29g at work that I'd like to put a target dragonet into, (no refugium) but I am afraid they wouldn't last long there - especially because I have a sixline wrasse that munches on pods, etc.[/quote']

I might have to hit you up for some macro algae covered with pods at some point man LOL I want a mandarin pretty bad for my 40B