So it's Chalices now, huh?

biomekanic

When I semi-retired out of the hobby a few years back, the Lord Howe's were the new HAWTNESS. A coral for years that had been an 'eh' item going for outrageous sums of money.

And now it seems that chalices have stepped into that role.

So, any bets on the new hawtness when the chalice madness fades?

I'm new to the hobby but have noticed that too! That chalices seem to be all the rage! What's up with that? I mean some of them are really cool but there is a lot of cool stuff! I find scolly's really fascinating but they are so darn expensive so I don't have one yet! I don't even know what a Lord Howe is.

Ya, I noticed it was first Zoas, then acans (Lordhowensis), now chalices.

I don't think that scolies will make it big because of the difficulty in fragging them, and the year or so it takes for them to heal up to looking round again.

I was OK with the zoa craze (not willing to pay more than $2/polyp), and the acan craze was kinda neat because all the cool colors that could be found (no more than $10/polyp for me). But chalices... most of them look like baby poop on a nacho chip to me. OOOOH, this one has some peas with the carrots... BLAH! I don't even want to pay $1 per eye, let alone the $40 or $50 per eye that some are going for... LOL

dsoz

• Like 1

I was OK with the zoa craze (not willing to pay more than $2/polyp), and the acan craze was kinda neat because all the cool colors that could be found (no more than $10/polyp for me). But chalices... most of them look like baby poop on a nacho chip to me. OOOOH, this one has some peas with the carrots... BLAH! I don't even want to pay $1 per eye, let alone the $40 or $50 per eye that some are going for... LOL

dsoz

I might have enjoyed chemistry more if my teacher had been this funny!(laugh)

Fortunately for me I'm "soooo last year in the saltwater fashion" and am still acan and zoa crazed as well as montiobsessed! I only have one chalice but will likely get more.

Looking forward to getting scollified!

Ya, I noticed it was first Zoas, then acans (Lordhowensis), now chalices.

I don't think that scolies will make it big because of the difficulty in fragging them, and the year or so it takes for them to heal up to looking round again.

dsoz

That was hilarious! I especially liked the Chalice descriptions(laugh)

Re: So it's Chalices now, huh?

with some people....with people like me those $200 an eye'rs make for a nice piece to glue zoas on....

40-50 per eye is a steal.... im use to seeing the 200.00 plus per eye ones.... and yes i do have some of those great for trading or selling since they seem to hold their value well

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

youve had some sweet ones Perry' date=' im hoping fungia's will be more... but i think they will always be a nitch thing[/quote']

Again, too many problems with the time it takes for them to re-grow into a circle once they have been cut. Almost 9 months later and the one that I cut is down to 4 pieces (out of 9) and only the original center piece is anywhere near being considered "round."

dsoz

Why yes, yes it is

Chalices are going to be around awhile -IMO.

There are way to many color variations-and for all the haters out there, that just means less market saturation-(whistle)

I'll take your little carrot and pea turds all the way to my PayPal account-(laugh)

Have you seen all those out there at R2R, 3reef, and the likes-chalices dont last a day-SOLD SOLD SOLD-and its been going strong for at least the last 16 months I have been watching their sales-and barely losing their value-MOO HA HA-(naughty)

all the while being 100-200 plus an eye, as much as 1500-2000 an eye(nutty)

Bring on the crazies, I got a frag or two to sell ya, I mean an eye-(clap)

Again, too many problems with the time it takes for them to re-grow into a circle once they have been cut. Almost 9 months later and the one that I cut is down to 4 pieces (out of 9) and only the original center piece is anywhere near being considered "round."

dsoz

Same here, 8 months later and 5 out of 6 survived. Ans still look like a ways to go.

I say Fungia's as well, if you can get some wild looking ones. Cutting them up might not be the best way to do it though. Maybe do like Roy did and half kill it and then dump it in the corner of the tank and yell (DIE SUCKER). Next thing you know you have a Fungia factory on your hands.

Or maybe its because he feeds its after midnight. Your never suppose to feed them after midnight right?

I think the next big thing is going to be green and peach efflos with purple rims... Get yours now... lol....

When you have a coral like this that's the size of a dinner plate, you ALWAYS have frags...

What I need is about 3 other corals that I could continously frag and I could make a ton going nation wide.... hey... anyone want to team up? I'll do the shipping at cost if you are interested. (Actually serious about this...)

puntific