Phosphates

Berger9953

I know I've been sending out alot of threads recently, but what I thought was a very stable nano tank turned out to be the contrary!! I think part of the instability is maybe I have some phosphates in my tank. I use red sea salt which claimes to have 0 phosphates. I use tap water, but bend or is rated some of the top water in the world! I use a two part conditioner. Is there some way to reduce phos w/o having to buy a RO/DI system?? I've heard of phosphate pads that soak them up, but I don't want some ugly pad in my tank all the time! So what do yall think? An experiences you would like to share!! Thank you all so much for all of the help on my other threads and welcoming me into this forum, and I also want to thank you all in advance for the future advice! Thanks, Connor

Even though Bend has great water, it still will have phosphates which are a problem for your reef tank. Have you tested your tap water? Also all of the "stuff" that builds up in your pipes. Maybe try some water from an LFS? Hillsboro has great water as well, my tap still is very high in phosphates and the TDS is around 45. Tastes great but still not good for my tank. The diffeent products that remove phospahtes can be run in a small reactor that can be attached to your sump if you have one or hung on the back of yur tank. If you look around you can find some great deals on an used RO/DI units. They are fantastic. What are you thinking you want to try?

I had problems until i got a RO/DI unit. I was using top off water that was RO/DI(from winco grocery store) but the pre mixed salt water I was getting was just tap water with prime in it. The Phosphates built up in my rock & I had a hair algae problem after awhile. I finally solved it by getting a RO/DI unit making my own water & doing weekly water changes & picking it all off.Phosphates are also a lot lower now.

http://www.purewaterclub.com/

Better investment than trucking around town getting water, inexpensive and pays for itself in a few trips.

I bought from these guys way before being a member here-My unit is rated for 50 gallons a day, but i had to get a booster pump-I have poor water pressure plus it had to run 60+ feet.

I have a dual TDS meter and the water out of my faucet in SE Port measures 8-12 on the TDS-pretty freaking low, but it is 0 once it passes through the RO/DI-

I used to buy the water and then did the math-mine has paid for itself at least twice to date

I also run a phosban reactor.

Berger, I got back into this hobby with a 24 gallon nano, I was having water issues all the time-to small of a tank for what I wanted needed.

First it was flow, then it was lights that lead to temp that led to a chiller that tied into a skimmer.

So there I was, I 24 gallon running 6-T5s, a chiller a skimmer, a bigger return pump-

Forget it- I got rid of it all, and went to a 80 gallon and from there a 75 gallon which is now my only tank.

Those nano are great but its not difficult to get "swings" with such small water volume.

Hats off to all you nano peeps-besides bigger is better, if you can do it

I too had hair algae problems at the start from using tap water. Once I switched to RO/DI the hair algae went away.

I started with a used system for about a year, then I sold it and bought a new system. Probably the best $200 I spent on the tank. It is better to have no algae than it is to have 20 new $10 frags that brown out and get covered with algae.

SAVE your fish budget for a couple of months. Resist the temptation to buy something for the tank. You will thank yourself later.

Also, you should get a large container to store RO/DI water. I got a 30g rubbermaid trashcan (not the best choice unless you can get one that is food safe). I got the kind with wheels so I can move it around easier. I turn on the RO/DI unit Friday evening and turn it off on Saturday morning when I wake up. The trash can is full. Then I can do a water change and I still have enough water for top offs for the next week. Friday night repeat the process.

dsoz

Thanks guys for the comments!! I can't do a bigger system now, although I must certainly will in the future...My goal is to have a reef, seahorse tank, shark tank, octopus tank, and a FO tank! But that will develope over many decades!! And in my permanent home too! Will that portable one work, the $56 one, it's the cheapest smallest and looks like it does the same job:p

That one is just RO, which is still better than tap, but honestly, I would save up a little more and go with one of the rodi units. click the aquarium tab on the "ro systems". Any of those would be fine. I have the 150 gpd one that I got from Rose city, and it works great. You would not believe the hassle I went through before lugging jugs back and forth every week.

Of course my tank burns about 5 gallons a day. I have it going into a 35 gallon garbage can, and I have about 40 gallons in jugs always ready. That way if I ever have a problem Im ready for it. Granted you dont need anything that big, but if you plan on upgrading might as well do it right the first time. Not alot more money and you get a much better unit.

Really wish I would of been told to do things right the first time, instead of finding things out after I had already screwed things up. Thats the beauty of these sites, sadly most people dont find them when they start.

Good luck.

Really wish I would of been told to do things right the first time, instead of finding things out after I had already screwed things up. Thats the beauty of these sites, sadly most people dont find them when they start.

Good luck.

Yeah, well, a lot of us get told the right way but don't do it!

If you know that you want larger/more tanks in the future I would strongly recomend buying the equipment you need now and not skimping. For a few dollars more you can get the better unit that would serve your needs now and into the future. If you do not start with quality water you will always have problems with your tank and get frustrated. If you can not afford the unit you want now, wait until you can. I am very aware of costs when purchasing equipment. I have had great luck buying used from here and other boards. Hope you find what you need!