Picasso's and Platinum's

Barelycuda

Hello All,

My Picasso's started spawning a little while ago and I have tried to raise some of the larva. In the first 2 batches there were only 20 eggs that had hatched but out of that there were 7 picasso's, 5 platinum's, and 8 normal percs. There have been some people that had asked to see some pics so here they are.

Here is a shot of the broodstock.

picassopair.jpg

Female

picassofemale.jpg

And the male tending to a clutch of eggs.

picassomale.jpg

Next post will have some of the babies.

Here's some shots of the babies. Most of them are around 1"-1-1/4" now.

53.jpg

28.jpg

29.jpg

38.jpg

43.jpg

25.jpg

30.jpg

31.jpg

34.jpg

35.jpg

Hope you enjoy them. Since this batch there have been 2 more hatches. One with about 15ish and I have another batch at day 10 now that is just about through metamorphosis and has about 75-100 babies. :)

Nice! I wish I could afford a pair of Plats... wanna see what their babies would look like... (rock2) tanks look real clean too, trading a WOW account for james cleaning looks like it is paying off. you gonna keep a pair of plats and breed them?? would love to see the clownhouse "snowball" clown... pure white??(clap)

Since this batch there have been 2 more hatches. One with about 15ish and I have another batch at day 10 now that is just about through metamorphosis and has about 75-100 babies. :)

Ka-ching! Now you'll be able to afford the clownhouse expansion! (clap)

Those are some crazy looking fish.

Hi there,

Matt Pedersen turned me on to this thread. He was just at my place last weekend for the MASM Breeder's Workshop.

I have a Picasso pair that I'm breeding as well and we were discussing the different types of offspring. In your pics of the juveniles, approximately how old are they?

Have you noticed any difference in how quickly the normal A. percula offspring (from Picasso parents) get their stripes?

In my first batch I only had 2 survivors and they both turned out to be Platinums. The next batch is about 3 weeks old and I can tell which ones will be Platinums but the rest I'm not sure about yet.

Here is a link to my journal: http://www.masm.org/mForums/tm.aspx?m=32565&mpage=1#36886

Fishtal,

Thanks for the link. I will definitely check it out. I really wanted to fly out to see Matt & Matt last weekend but I couldn't get the airfare down low enough to come. Matt Pedersen is an great person to talk to and I wish I could have been there.

The picasso's in the pictures were born on 10/25 and 11/13. There were 8 and 12 respectively that hatched. Fortunately I had a 100% survival from hatch to growout on these 2 clutches. From the initial 20 fish there are about 5 platinums, 8 picasso's, & 7 percs. I have noticed how much quicker these percs get their stripes. I have 2 spawning pairs of normal true percs but have stopped raising them for now as it seems that the stripes develop to slowly and the coloration takes a long time.

I have another batch that hatched on 2/17 and there were 17 that hatched. Since they are around 4 weeks old now there are definitely 4 platinums and 3 or 4 regular stripes but the remaining 10ish are still undetermined. I have a third batch that hatched on 3/3 that has hatched approx 80-100 babies. they are still to small to determine the coloring.

Dave

Dave,

Thanks for the info! Too bad you couldn't make it to the Workshop, it turned out great. You can see more info and pics from the event on this page: http://www.masm.org/mForums/tm.aspx?m=33444

I was lucky enough to host both Matt's at my place for the weekend. They are both such cool people. It was fun to talk fish with them in person and in my home for a whole weekend. I'm still geeked about it.

I had a good conversation with MP about the genetics involved with the Picasso offspring.

Tal

Tal,

You wouldn't happen to be Tal Sweet would you? It is nice to put some conversation with the name.

We went to a conference over in Richland, Wa las fall and got to spend the weekend with MP. He is such a cool guy... We have been chatting back and forth over the last couple of months about the picasso's and the whole thread about the Maine blizzards. I am sure he probably told you about it. He used some of my stats and information from the above clutches to prove a theory of his and kind of call bs on the thread.

It must have been very cool to host both speakers. I would really like to meet Matt Wittenrich sometime and spend some time talking with him, maybe someday.

Are you by chance going to MACNA this year? We are going and I am very excited about that. I have wanted to go for the last couple of years but haven't been able to. We have our condo and plane tickets already so now just time to save for the car and spending money :) If you're going I'd like to meet you and maybe talk a little bit.

Yup,

That would be me. Not many Tal's in the fish world, LOL.

Yes, MP and I were talking about similar things. Pretty interesting stuff.

I will be at MACNA for sure. Got my ticket and room, just need to get air and spending $. :D It will be great to get together and chat over the weekend.

Have you heard about the Marine Breeding Initiative yet? You should check it out. It's a great way to document your breeding progress and see what others are doing.

LMK if you have any questions,

Tal

I look forward to meeting you as well. It's going to be a great event. I didn't go last year but I did go to the one in Atlanta and had a blast!

Thanks for the kind words about my site. I still need to work on the Seahorse pages, I've just been really busy since I got them.