Shallow Reef Tank

Theron

I am thinking about setting up a shallow reef tank. Previously I had a 300 gallon cube that was 30 inches high. While I loved the height, this tank I want to keep the water volume down, so a shallow tank would make sense.

Right now I think my ideal dimensions would be 48x24x16. I would like atleast 24 inches width (front to back) and the height could be somewhere between 14 inches to 18 inches.

Before I go and order a custom tank, I just wanted to see if anyone has something around with these dimensions they want to get rid of. It would be nice to start with a used tank to see how I like the height before spending the money on something custom.

Theron

• 2 weeks later...

Still looking for a shallow tank. I would like to find something somewhat inexpensive. I am also concidering a tank height of 12 inches. So if someone has a frag tank available with a footprint about 48x24 let me know. Needs to be in fairly good shape because I want to use it as a display tank.

Theron

May sound kinda crazy but seeing how most tanks with your desired footprint are taller than you want them to be, here's an idea that I've seen and it actually looked pretty good. Buy a 75 or 90 gallon tank, Which is about the footprint your looking for, measure whatever heigth that you want, mask from that point down and you can primer, then paint ( black preferably) from there up. Intall hinges on a nice board cut to fit and painted the same and essetially you have a built in canopy just make sure to vent.

Thanks Guys,

I am really trying to find something I do not have to modify much. I want the tank easy to access so, a 70 or 90 gallon is not going to work. But Kemist, that is an interesting idea.

Moovin, thanks for the link. That guy has a lot of different size tanks for sale. He even has a few exactly what I am looking for, 1 inch and rimless with free shipping. A little more than I want to spend right now though.