Close loop or not?

Frank

Ok... here is the question?

I picked up a new tank and I am going to move my old 120 into the new 150 peninsula. I have one Vortex MP 40 and looking at getting another... Should I do a closed loop or just run these two bad boys?

Also my returns will be (2) 3/4 sea swirls and (2) 3/4 inlets for return flow....what pump should I use for this? (Being setup in living room so keeping the noise level down is a must).

I would do two MP40's IMO. Especially being in the living room for noise.

Closed loops are great because they are so easy to hide, but with some work you can hide powerheads pretty well as well IMO.

Having the alternating powers of the Vortechs will be very handy.

Congrats on the new tank. Let me know if you need any help moving stuff around.

I have a 120g 48x24x24. Run a dart closed loop and an mp40. I get more water movement from my mp40 than my dart. I have been thinking about getting another mp40 and shutting down the dart or just using it to "blast" rocks occasionally. My closed loop is an over the top with 3/4" loc-line in each top corner. Just an opionion but I really like my mp40. goodluck

Just stick with the 40s like we were talking about. Remember the 40s can be turned up and down by hand or run on the reef crest mode(rock2) great setting. Plus they look sexy in the tank compared to a pc of lock line or a black hole:D Another advantage they come right out of the tank for a quick dip in the vinegar if they need to be cleaned(clap) Try that with a closed loop oh and good luck cleaning itDOH! I love the vortechs and will be running one or maybe two when my new set up gets going. Good luck with the new tank oh and GET SOME PICS POSTED(whistle)

ok...so it looks like everyone who just set up new tanks and went with a closed loop on it...recommend to go with MP40's instead. WHY?

Although I have taken the advise to move forward with the MP40's...yeah! But....want to know why everyone suggested them.

i don't sugest mp40 in my case I dont think they are a good fit. I cannot control the direction of the flow enough and for 750 bucks for two of them for my tank I think there are a lot of other flow options.
They flow everywhere, unlike directionals that shoot a skinnier stream. In my 155gal I cant see a single place that doesnt have current and realistic current at that. I had listed last week people could have got 2 MP40s for $660, still alot of money but what else has the width/power/flexibility/nite mode/feed mode/reef crest/lagoon/pulses (waves) and looks great in the tank for that price?

i have two ss from my last tank and two directional prop style flow pumps and like you have no dead spots random flowfor a lot less jack in my 200 gal. I know you guys like your mp's but there are plenty of options to look at. I would still not choose a mp for my cube because i will only mount these flow devises on the back wall the other three sides are viewable.

I too would like to hear more about why everyone is so against a closed loop. I have never had one myself but in theory it has always sounded like a great way to go.

Secondly are the Mp40's or other comparable powerheads really that reliable? I am asking honestly cause I have never ran them either.

On my closed loop I have 4 lines pushing water straight up the back wall of the tank. Coral placement is not an issue and it would be difficult (maybe impossible) to provide the same flow at the back with just power heads. I also run 2 power heads though as well. If I had to make a choice between them I would choose just the power heads however I still prefer having both.

Hey Frank I just purchased two Tunze 6101's w/ a multicontroller and I cant believe I waited this long without it!! They are absolutely amazing. My fish and corals are loving life now. It makes my poor MJ mods look like there was never any flow :)

Get a set of Tunzes or Vortechs and you will be very happy. One selling point for the Tunzes is their customer service and that fact you can get a used set of 6101's (over 3000gph each) and a multicontroller all day for the cost of 1 new Vortech.

yeah R-3 that's why I am going with the MP40 since it gives 3000gph. Dont know any other pump that will give me that. And...they are moveable. Being able to run multiple programs is a big plus as well.

The Tunze 6101's are rated up to 3170GPH, each :)

i have two ss from my last tank and two directional prop style flow pumps and like you have no dead spots random flowfor a lot less jack in my 200 gal. I know you guys like your mp's but there are plenty of options to look at. I would still not choose a mp for my cube because i will only mount these flow devises on the back wall the other three sides are viewable.
I think thats where vortechs shine the most, as long as you have 2-1/4" behind the tank

and Im suprised no one has shot a video of when they first install these, the crap that comes out of every crevice is amazing and its one of the times you get to witness the powerful Undertow these produce as it pulls things at high speeds across the bottom of the tank without blowing any sand. This video is kinda crappy but if you watch the bottom it sort of demonstrates it