Computer Help

jgf86123

Guys, I need some help, my gf's dad has about wrecked my laptop, don't ever let a real estate agent who thinks he's a computer whiz near your computer, EVER.

Anyway, it's F'd up reallllll bad, and I just want to wipe it and do a complete re-install, that's what I've been told I need, thanks Brad. Anyway, who can help with that? LOL

TIA

I have an emachines disk for my laptop.

Can you contact the maker of your laptop and have them send you a replacement disk?

Without a disk, you'll have to find someone with a full version of whatever OS you want to install.

Once you have that, it's very easy. Just pop it in the drive and start your computer, and follow the prompts.

Sorry for jumping in when I can not help-(presently) but why wouldn't doing a system restore be possible-don't most systems have partioned hard drives and he can just do a "restore" hitting escape during the re-boot or F11-its been awhile-I just figured someone who had it a little more fresh in their head could jump in.

Mick if you don't get anywhere PM me.

I do want to confirm you are running windows-If you are using a MAC delete me from your friends list(enforcer) -Friends don't let friends use Apples-(nono)

Oops I did it again-(clap)Here comes the backlash-(flame)

Here is some info that might help:

If windows is running you can start it by going to Programs, Acer Empowering Technology and run the Acer eRecovery Management. Note that on the bottom of the eRecovery Management window are 3 choices, Backup, Burn Disk and Restore. Click on Restore. Here you have the choice of select Restore System to Factory Default.

If windows is not working but the system boots -

Reboot the system and when the Acer logo appears, hold down the ALT key and press F10. This starts the recovery process, just follow the instructions.

We bought the laptop at best buy, did not come with any kind of restore disks, its an acer

so yeah, imma need that disk but your right, we aint exactly neighbors LOL thats a good drive out to your place

You might give Best Buy a call and see if they can supply you with a disk. They offer that service for about $30 if I understood the guy at the Best Buy "Geek Squad" correctly.

If you bought it new then it came with a disc, no question. Even if you don't have the disc if you have a licensed version of windows you can get a new disc for it from Microsoft.

If the computer is running really slow then start with control alt delete and see what the processes are that are running and what kind of memory it is using. also I do believe that small parts of some files were wiped out for some reason that quite a few of these can be fixed from updates (once again only licensed versions)

You also might check with Acer and see if they have a replacement system disk available, since on laptops they are usually a bundle. A system restore will only work if you set a new point to restore from in the last little while, other wise you might end up taking it back too far.

Tpye msconfig in your run bar and see what is starting in your startup menu. Too many items will lag you down, finally do a disk drive clean and defrag, this is always helpful. If you can get the disc and do a fresh install (highly recommended) then that is what I would suggest.