Help!! What am I overlooking?

coralreefer

OK, guys and gals...I've got a persistent hair algae problem that just shouldn't exist...

1) 3 month old RO-DI filters on zero TDS water...never had anything other than this for 3+ years...

2) gettanked salt with spot on parameters

Ca 480

alk 9

sp gr 1.026

pH 8.1

TEMP 78-80

BULBS changed every 6 months mh 20k 250w 6 hours daily

pc actinic 8 hours daily

mag 1350

drip kalk 24/7

3) sump filters changed out every 3 days

4) nitrates zero on pinpoint monitor been that way for 3 months

5) dosing vodka/dextrose/vinegar/bacteria for ~5 months

6) phosphates zero on hanna meter

7) running GFO/ carbon in 2 little fishes reactor with media changed every 3-4 weeks

8) Aquaripure denitrator

9) flow is 2 korallia 4s and 2 korallia 3s in 135 gallon

10) a powerhead in sump to keep detritus stirred up as well as one in overflow

11) new MSX200 skimmer--4 months old

12) one hippo tang, a maroon clown, a Klein's butterfly fish, a neon dottyback and 4 green chromis--feeding pinch of flakes daily with quarter sized piece of Rods 3x weekly

13) 15% water change weekly like clockwork

14) do a lights out 3 consecutive days per month...

15) cleanup crew--snails and crabs

I am at a loss for why hair algae won't fade back...I am well versed at reasons and treatment...I even tried ALGAEFIX but started losing snails and stopped...

These live rocks have been in tank for average 5 years...I am sure, due to past that there are trapped phosphates leaching but one would think at some point that would exhaust out...

What am I missing here?

DrMerle

Short answer without going check, yup, check-I can't see a thing wrong with any of those params/equipment at all-

Like how much hair algae-got any pics?

I have about 4 Turbos plus the rest of the CUC in my 75- those guys munch algae some tangs are veracious on algae

Ever thought about possibly adding a sea hare-

Travis at upscales "leased" me one last year-LOL

Well, since you seem to have done everything right, I would say to just keep trimming by hand as much as possible and wait it out.

I do think #5 and #7-8 are counter productive. With Zeovit they do not recommend using GFO with their system. Theory would be that bacteria need PO4, Nitrate, and Carbon source to grow. You are dosing carbon source (vodka, sugar, etc) to grow the bacteria (and also adding additional bacteria), but limiting their growth by using GFO and denitrator. I would think either stop reactors, or stop adding carbon-bacteria. I may be wrong...why not ask the Zeovit or Brightwell guys about combining the two different systems for nutrient reduction (reactors vs carbon).

Well, since you seem to have done everything right, I would say to just keep trimming by hand as much as possible and wait it out.

I do think #5 and #7-8 are counter productive. With Zeovit they do not recommend using GFO with their system. Theory would be that bacteria need PO4, Nitrate, and Carbon source to grow. You are dosing carbon source (vodka, sugar, etc) to grow the bacteria (and also adding additional bacteria), but limiting their growth by using GFO and denitrator. I would think either stop reactors, or stop adding carbon-bacteria. I may be wrong...why not ask the Zeovit or Brightwell guys about combining the two different systems for nutrient reduction (reactors vs carbon).

All good points...I've run a "hybrid" system, following example of others I've read posts from stating that they've had better results running GFO in combo with zeovit...I've been reluctant to pull denitrator offline (I know I could always put it back on) and GFO as my parameters have never been so pristine...I have literally spent years trying to reach nitrate/phosphate of zero and while corals have "finally" stated to show life and growth, stinkin' hair algae won't abate...

I've used 3 or 4 sea hares with poor results...they died after week or so with hair algae in front of their face...yet my crabs, snails and shrimp thrive...

I could pull "accessories" offline, add to my cleaning crew, drop in some algae picking fish, continue to weed...how about an urchin?

DrMerle

Are you sure the algae is GHA? Might it be bryopsis? Some people have had success getting rid of bryopsis by boosting their Mg levels using Kent Tech M (some folks suggest there's something specific about Kent's product that helps, others say just raising their Mg levels did it...).

some people using carbon sources whether it be vodka, sugar, or bio-fuel have had the opposite of results expected and have experienced algae outbreaks. using a denitrator/carbon sourcing/media reactors you may be attempting to much nitrate and phosphate removal. its more than likely you have phosphates and nitrates even with the methods your using, the algae is being used at the level its supplied therefore making it difficult if not impossible to test.

+1 to kshack for contacting vendors for additional chemical support. there could be problems with too many methods of removal and one could be affecting the other causing certain "unknown" nutrient levels to rise!! not particularly phosphates or nitrates, however something else we really do not have the means to test for??

do you have a "de-i" on your r.o. system? if so how many? just having a basic r.o. may not be enough to polish your supplied (well/city) water. most advanced aquarists have a 3 stage "basic" r.o sounding like posted plus one or more additional de-i.....also if you have a calcium reactor test for nitrate/phosphates on your effluent, some arogonite and reactor medias are super high in phosphates and dont get noticed till way too late! test your r.o effluent as well. you my find something overlooked. could be a bad membrane from the get go?

most algae outbreaks are from phosphate/nitrate and or "some" excess nutrient available making algae's explode...... i use bio fuel and like it very much, i also use gfo and carbon in my two little fish reactors the same as you. i had to battle algae before and those tests helped me solve my issue. hope it can help you some......

+1 on always having your mag over 1350!!

Go buy 30 emerald crabs. They will take it all out and it will not return as long as your water quality is good . It will take a few months for them to get it all then you will need to cut there numbers way down as they wouln't have a food suppley any more . I am telling you from my own experince. I put 15 crabs in a 30 gallon .

More than likely Phosphates, you should have it tested or ask another local reefer that has the kit to test. The source could be overfeeding, phos leeching from live rock, phos from crushed coral bed, a simple SHORT term fix is rowaphos or phosban if this is in fact your problem. Have your water tested... it should read zero phos.

sea hare is a quick fix but I'm guessing inorganic phosphates may be the cause or even nitrate, people don't realize your test can test zero because algae is pulling from the system it usually only shows when its very high if you don't have much of a sand bed it could be releasing enough nitrate to cause your issue but not test because algae is pulling it from the water.

This is crazy but lights out for 3 days does nothing...my hair algae grows best in dark...it is "heaviest" in am when lights first come on...right now it is very easy to pull out...so I am close to where I should be...it is not bryopsis! I luckily have never had bryopsis...I have been reluctant to pull any additional methods (denitrator) offline due to the fact that I have finally reached one gola of reduction of nitrates...