Skimmer slime!!!!

Ocean In a Box

Does this goo serve any other useful purpose? Can you throw it out in your garden for fertilizer?

that's an interesting question. I think I remember someone asking that once before. I don't have a clue so I'll sit back and watch as I'm intrigued by the question now too. This combined with some coffee grounds and some nice hot composting dirt could do some wonderful things for a garden??? Good question...(scratch)

I would think it would have a ton of beneficial stuff in it - the only problem is the salinity. I know that salt doesn't eveporate' date=' but I'm assuming that skimmate has a high salinity - which would be bad for the plants.[/quote']

so maybe in a garden that gets enough water it would be diluted enough to be beneficial as opposed to harmful?

so maybe in a garden that gets enough water it would be diluted enough to be beneficial as opposed to harmful?

I doubt it. Once the salt is there, it's there! DOH!There's a reason why the Romans used to salt the grounds of their enemies:D

I dumped it in my yard on a couple of weeds to see what the long term effects would be over the summer and it killed the heck out the one I kept dumping it on' date=' but I have fairly liquid skimmate too.[/quote']

Slightly off topic, but my skimmate is light brown and very liquid. Green goo does form in the cup and on in inside of the cup. Should the liquid that pours into the dumping container be viscous? Is it usually green or brown or light brown?

Thanks,

puntific

Too me it seems that it's just broken down organic stuff.

I have seen a that someone had test with two sps in different tanks, one with fish and one without. The one with the fish swimming in and out and pooping all over it grew faster then the other.

So why (if you have a good skimmer) can't you just squirt this back onto the sps's for food? In small amounts I would think.

well I just tasted mine( no I didnt swallow it and I rinced with some 100 proof captin morgans) and it had a slight salt tast but not as much as my tank water for sure! My skimmate is very green.
(puke)

Stick with the Captain ONLYDOH!

Too me it seems that it's just broken down organic stuff.

I have seen a that someone had test with two sps in different tanks, one with fish and one without. The one with the fish swimming in and out and pooping all over it grew faster then the other.

So why (if you have a good skimmer) can't you just squirt this back onto the sps's for food? In small amounts I would think.

Because it's not phytoplankton!! it's fish waste, detritus particles, excess food, slime off corals and fish. There is a very small amount of nutrition that corals get from fish waste but thats very small. There's a reason why we limmit the fish in our tanks and need good working skimmers.

(puke)

Stick with the Captain ONLYDOH!

Well I figured that it wouldn't be to much worse than the mouth full of detritus ya get from siphoning out the sump but boy was I wrong!! Wasn't like a shot of wheatgrass that's for certain!! I wouldn't suggest doing it! I was just not going to comment on the amount of salt in it till I knew what I was thinking was true.