Christmas party raffle tank

fishmanmike01

So I was fortunate enough to win the cube tank at the 2009 christmas party (clap)(rock2) First I would like to thank Davey Jones Locker for there generous donation. Secondly I would like to know others opinions on what to do with it? The dimensions of the tank turned out to be 18x18x21. I am thinking maby a softy tank with acans,some zoas,ricordia,maby a frog spawn and who knows what else.The only live stock I was thinking was a large peacock mantis or maby a dwarf lion, what do you think? Here are some pictures of the tank.....The hood and stand are really nice(rock2)

IMG_3287.jpg

IMG_3288.jpg

IMG_3289.jpg

IMG_3290.jpg

IMG_3291.jpg

id go with a 400w halide, a pair of black an white ocellaris clowns, barelycuda raises em lol, a nice nem, and then some nice softies, defintely get a few nice zoa colonies in there, maybe some blue xenia like what byrd has, a nice ricordea garden, thats always nice to look at, and then a large acan colony front and center

maybe throw in a goby or 2

if you want to go the lion route, i like the dwarfs and the fu manchus, they're always nice

but i prefer much more active and lively fish

just my .02 lol

That is very nice! What did you want to light it with? That would make a big difference on what you could keep coral wise. If you only wanted a single fish' date=' I've always liked the fu-manchu lion fish.[/quote']

Thats one of my delemmas, The hood is so small not much is going to fit under it. And I agree the fu-manchu is one of my favorites too.

id go with a 400w halide, a pair of black an white ocellaris clowns, barelycuda raises em lol, a nice nem, and then some nice softies, defintely get a few nice zoa colonies in there, maybe some blue xenia like what byrd has, a nice ricordea garden, thats always nice to look at, and then a large acan colony front and center

maybe throw in a goby or 2

if you want to go the lion route, i like the dwarfs and the fu manchus, they're always nice

but i prefer much more active and lively fish

just my .02 lol

Dont you think a 400 would cook everything in it??

I helped out over at Davey Jones last summer and I am familiar with that tank. BTW nice tank. The tank is built to take a seaswirl right above the overflow. So, should have some nice flow. I would go with a 250w halide or if you just go with a softy tank I would go with the T5's. I thought that the tank would be a great for sps myself since it's set up for a seaswirl. Again very nice tank! Have fun deciding and putting it together.

Maybe a few nice pillar style rocks in the center

What about a seahorse tank?

Maybe get a dwarf lion, long horned cowfish, a few nice angels, an eel. I think I would use it to get a tank with all the small fish that are better left out of the reef. You could still put softy corals in there probably too.

Pair of pipefish with goby/pistol pair maybe?:D

I helped out over at Davey Jones last summer and I am familiar with that tank. BTW nice tank. The tank is built to take a seaswirl right above the overflow. So' date=' should have some nice flow. I would go with a 250w halide or if you just go with a softy tank I would go with the T5's. I thought that the tank would be a great for sps myself since it's set up for a seaswirl. Again very nice tank! Have fun deciding and putting it together.[/quote']

I was thinking about t5's as well but can you get them in under 18''? I allready have some workhorse ballasts and end caps so all I would need is bulbs.

I would think a single 250w MH would be plenty for the corals you listed above and even some SPS up high if you really wanted to. I would think a 400w MH would give you trouble unless you have a chiller. Very nice looking tank' date=' stand and hood.[/quote']

Right on there Kilmca! A 250 is plenty for this tank. I have a250 over my oceanic that is almostthe same size. My chiller kicks on even in the cooler part of the year. So if you go wit ha 400 get ready to cook stuff in the summer(laugh) I had sps under a 250 with no issues.

• 1 month later...