So I might be buying a new-ish, car next week

CA2OR

It wont be the M3 of old as I have a child now and another on the way. But that doesn't mean I am giving up on the performance. We are considering one of 3 cars, one of which I can promise my wife won't let me get....which is why I have option "B" there...then worst case option "C". Keep in mind that I am trying to consider safety as the number one goal here, then handling and grip due to the ice and snow that we get out here, and lastly is my pleasure....I mean performance

Option A, sorry no pic $22k 43K miles

2003 BMW M5 :D(scary)(fingers)(crazy)

Option B, again sorry no pic 48K miles

2005 Volvo, yes Volvo, S60-R (plotting) AWD $18K or $16K sorry can't remember

All wheel drive, 300Hp Turbo, with active chassie for sport or comfort, and speaking of the comfort mode....it is a guarantee for keeping kids asleep. Check this out right about the 2 minute mark

Option C, yes I have a pic of this one 39K miles

2006 Volvo, yes again, S40 T5 AWD $18K(huh)

1213090744a.jpg

What do you guys think?

I would go with the Volvo. I just think they are a great car. They have plenty of power, AWD and overall are a very safe car. There styling has even come a long way to! Ive been thinking about selling my Expedition and getting a Volvo soon also :)

Yes both Volvo's drop my insurance by a bit..I can't believe they DROP my insurance....I only have a 2005 Mazda 6..of course biggest difference is with option C, I would prefer B over all. The M5 is just there because it is one of my dream cars...but it is RWD and that makes me nervous as I know how I like to drive...and drift, and with baby that is a no go. As a second car....sure...no brainer....but as a primary(scratch)

My heart is kinda set on the S60R as it will be safe, of course it's a volvo, fast, and AWD....did I mention fast?(scratch)

I worry about Subi's and such as I don't have a lot of confidence in them should you get in an accident. Which is why I want to move away from our current Mazda....well...that and it isn't very fast or fun to drive. Nice car for all other intents and purposes.

I have a 04 S60R and like it. In the summer I get 28+ MPG on the highway avg 65-70. Only get 25 in winter...not sure if it is temp related or added ethanol.

Is the car 6 speed or auto?

Some model years they de-tune engine to 250 to match up with the auto. Have you checked out IPD? They are local and have lots of after market goodies to increase torque and HP. Also, with a family you may want to check out the R wagon.

Ken

Eric, with one kid already and another on the way, why is 'speed" a criteria for picking a new car. that being said, Either of b or c would be a nice car for what you want to do. Volvo has one of, if not the best, safety ratings in the industry. If you can afford the maintenance on it, I say get either.

I agree with Bob on the maintenance aspect of Volvo cause I have two family members that own Volvos and maintenance is very expensive. I believe it's also expensive on option A. Does Volvo have a certified used car program where you can get an extended warranty from them? If they do and it's for a significant amount of time/mileage I would recommend getting it as long as it doesn't cost a ton plus it must cover major parts of the car.

On the comment that Subaru aren't safe that's just not true. If you google safest cars Subaru come right in second behind Volvo for most safest cars for 2010 and i'm sure that's the case for other years too. Now if you don't want a Subaru cause it's not fast enough or you don't like the styling just say that. Just so you know I don't own and never have owned a Subaru but I do think they are safe and reliable.

The only reason speed comes into play is because I am the one that will be driving this thing 90% of the time...I have had the hardest time accepting the Mazda being that I moved from an M3 to this.

The reason I say that about Subi safety....and keep in mind I did no research on this, but I saw an accident a while back in So Cal....it was a wagon volvo and a STI....I don't think the STI passengers lived but I am quite sure the Volvo people did. Of course I didn't see the accident happen so I don't know the particulars....which could make all the difference.

I can only respond about the cost of owning a BMW and they are very expensive to maintain, I wasn't happy with that. I also think the bmw's are over priced do to the status they symbolise. I would go with a Volvo, I believe them to be more reliable that the BMW, I don't know about the maintenance.

The only reason speed comes into play is because I am the one that will be driving this thing 90% of the time...I have had the hardest time accepting the Mazda being that I moved from an M3 to this.

The reason I say that about Subi safety....and keep in mind I did no research on this, but I saw an accident a while back in So Cal....it was a wagon volvo and a STI....I don't think the STI passengers lived but I am quite sure the Volvo people did. Of course I didn't see the accident happen so I don't know the particulars....which could make all the difference.

Sorry dude, I'm getting old and I guess my speed demon days are gone. I do know people who have Volvos and love them, but they all complain on how much the maintenance costs them. I'm sure it is that was with all European cars though.