Is Eugene water good enough for a reef?

tidalsculpin

WITH A 6-Stage 100 GPD RO/DI RUNNING $125 Its hard to justify the risk. I would prefer to start with 100% pure water. AND the big kicker here is, even if its clean today... what about tomorrow? You never know when addative and other things are put in if you dont work for the water company.

It is probably "okay" for most reef setups. But I wouldnt do it. If you wanna have no water issues ever from tap water than use a RO/DI. Are all these "professional" stores in Eugene setup with or without RO/DI water? Just wondering. Later Ryan

You should not have an RO unit!!!!! there are still phosphates in the water, and they build over the months and will catch up with you. Yes, like Nyles said, 125 bucks is money well spent and one of the best things you can do for your tank. When RO units were a kidney to buy them...you could not justify it, but 125 bucks is nothing.

lol so you shouldnt have an ro because they are the best thing you can do for your tank/.....im confused

No, when they were 400 dollars it was a huge chunk of change and most people could justify not having one, because they did not have the cash...but now they are only 125 shipped, 98% of people can afford that and should.

My tapwater has a TDS of 23ppm. Thats actually REALLY good compared to most places. But there are other things you have to consider. My pipes are all brand new PVC. If you have copper pipes, or galvenized pipe those will corrode over time. Where does the corrosion go? Right into the water that passes thru them.

In the end, a RO/DI unit is a really good purchase IMO. I bought one of the cheapo ones off ebay and have only had to change the DI resin once. I paid $129 shipped. I'm glad I did regardless of how good the water is.

Glad I asked. We have new PVC pipes at the school. I guess RO is what I should do. I buy RO from LS and they do have a real RO system. They gave me a tour of it. It is the real thing. I just don't like hauling water and paying for it.

Sounds like I should just jump on the RO bandwagon.

129 bucks gets a single membrane right? What is good and what is crap on ebay?

I know the Kent systems are credible. What is not garbage for 130 bucks?

Also, out of interest to Impur-

EWEB water is 23 ppm on your TDS monitor. Is that consistent impur? Do Eugene nitrates go up and down like PDX tap water? As the Portlanders mention. This is good to know for the freshwater tanks in my classroom.

I agree to a point, the different manufactures use different media and membraines... I researched for sometime before I settled on aquasafesystems I can get 6 years of filters including extra membrane for less than $100 on a 6 stage unit ITs comes out to like 32 filters and the membraine.... crazy!

Regardless they have been friendly when I call and never had a problem.

I have not tested the nitrates or other things in the water, strictly the TDS, so i can't comment on that part.

The unit I bought is by Filter Direct on ebay. Its a 6 stage unit, ~75gpd, with a 3gal storage tank, all necessary fittings to hook up to your faucet or plumb inline. Also came with a drinking faucet. The one thing about my unit i do not like is the smaller sized DI chamber. Its smaller than some of the more expensive systems, but that can easily be remedied. But i bought a bag of replacement DI resin from the same guy and its good for 3 refills and only cost me $16 shipped.

The RO/DI unit topic is a great one for starting flame wars on places like RC (laugh)

On one side, you have those saying the cheap eBay units are just as good as the premiere brands (air-water-ice and buck-eye, for example) and anyone who spends $200 when they could get the same thing for $100 is (nutty)

On the other, you have those who swear by the premiere brands and insist the cheap ones are... well.. cheap. They say the eBay units ship with low-quality membranes (off- or no- brand), or that the DI is poorly designed (horizontal rather than vertical, or using loose DI resin instead of a cartridge).

I don't know who's right but I suspect that, as with most things, the truth is in the middle: that the cheap eBay units *are* lower quality, but are probably more than good enough for most reef aquarium uses. Some people just prefer to buy a higher quality product, and some people prefer to save a few bucks -- it's when they get together the feathers start flying (clap)

EDIT: One thing is definite though, the premire brands do seem to give far better support than the eBay guys. If you think you might ever need help from the company, go with a premiere brand.

I can tell you both myself and Miles have non-reef aquatics brand (or you call cheap) RO/DI and both register 0 TDS. Hard to beat that...

After 6 months of use mine went to 0.01 TDS.... Still very nice and I didnt have to have my "Good" Unit thats probably bought from the ebay manufactur sold to a ditributor, sold to a Aquatic Online or LFS store and then sold to me.

Im fine with giving money to my LFS store but when it has to change hands 3 times with markup it gets crazy... they all have similar designs, I don't think your getting anything better, just peace of mind. I ts similar to the super glue topic, you can buy a small tube of glue at LFS store for $2 or you can get the same exact stuff in the same quantity at the dollar store for 33 cents each.

Its marketing, and a LFS has to mark up more to stay in business and again.. Its piece of mind.

In my business you can buy my products online as well but I can mark mine up higher and sell them all day by building a relationship and the customer always knows what hes getting (i.e. Service, quality, relationship, local presence). I think thats key.

I still beleive the better units probably have an edge' date=' but I don't think its worth 3-5 time more for an EQUIVELENT output and stage unit.[/quote']

Yah i agree. I'd rather save $100-$200 bucks and have to replace the DI resin once a year at ~$6 a replacement.

Ya, my major reason for going this route is with the fact I can replace my filters every year plus my membrain for 5 years and still won't spend $210 including the price of the unit.

I was a tad off on price... This is if I was to order with unit. So no extra shipping. Otherwise it was $24 extra

Replacements for your Maximus or Aquarium 6 stage RO/DI unit

ITEM QTY PRICE SUM

Case of 21 RO Filters 1 $54.50

4 Bags of Resin 1 $39.50

Shipping, Handling & Insurance 1 $0

Total USD $94.00

Here is an example... but you only save $5... but I would prefer to buy on ebay just so they try and get good feedback, there feed is at 99.9%

Looks like they are shipping from USA now and not canada...

For $199 you can get a TDS, PSI meter, 6-stage, 6 years of filters and all the other stuff... CRAZY!

http://cgi.ebay.com/AQUA-SAFE-MAXIMUS-MAX-REVERSE-OSMOSIS-WATER-FILTER_W0QQitemZ150054408221QQihZ005QQcategoryZ20684QQcmdZViewItem

http://www.aquasafecanada.com/2006catalogue.html

But I purchased off ebay since they sell whole systems cheaper there.

And I guess thats 6 years of filters not 5. Opps.

Wouldn't it be cheaper to buy off their website due to pricing being in Canadian $? Wonder if their $199 setup on Ebay seems OK for beads/filters? Can you use any other brand inserts, or are all these different brands propiatary? Also, can you push enough through these to do a water change, or do you have to sit and wait a day for a garbage can to fill up?

you would need something like I sell at work to do instant fill, we sell 5000 GPD filters. But you will have to give me your new car in exchange, and that will be a downpayment.

Do the research and do it however you like. I pre make my water in a commercial rubbermaid tub. A 100 GPD is 4 GPH.