How do YOU test for Ca++?

coralreefer

Long story short...I have "used" Pinpoint calcium monitors for 4 years...have gone through 3 of them...take pristine care of the monitor and probes and have difficulty calibrating, even with new fluids, any kind of consistent numbers. I have spent way too much money on what I consider an untrustworthy product.

I would be willing to purchase a different calcium monitor if I thought there were any but I don't think there are any.

What do you all use to test calcium?

DrMerle

I use Salifert.

I use the Marine Pinpoint PH Controller with my Ca reactor and it keeps my KH right at 11.2 and Ca right at 470.

I test it weekly out of habit but it is always exactly the same values as above. I see you have a Ca Reactor, add the PH Controller and eliminate the need to drip Kalk and your KH and Ca will ALWAYS be at the values you determine.

Set it and forget it.

I use a Pinpoint PH monitor in the sump so I can see at a glance where the PH is.

I here Milwaukie is a more consistant line than MP

The problem with the monitors is that there are 3 places for errors to occur...

1) The calibrating fluids 2) the probe 3) the monitor...

The probe can go bad without you knowing. I have also had the same problem with their pH monitor. When I contact the company, they say...

replace your fluids first...that was never the problem...you need a new probe...of course I need a new probe (again)...

This weekend, corals were looking a little off...checked ca monitor...ca was 325...325!!! Oh no, need to step up with a little Ca dosing...but first, better calibrate and recheck levels...calibrated fine...rechecked...325...dang! Supplement...got it up to 375....better stop there...don't want to flood with ca too quick...rechecked this am...316...316???!!! What the...!! Recalibrate...recheck...289...289!!!??? Went and picked up Red Sea Ca Test Kit...over 700!!!!!!!!! Calibrating fluids practically new...probe 4 months old...have treated it like a precious diamond...this is the 4th probe I've had in 4 years, 2nd monitor...so on...

I am dripping kalk as Ca reactor alone pushes pH down to 7.8...I'd prefer 8.1 or 8.2...I tried just dripping kalk at night and Ca reactor during day but tank is getting more sps all the time and I need more ca...

Have seriously considered 2 part...and no more American Marine...

The pH monitor I use is Milwaukee...great dependable unit...I had great difficulty calibrating American Marine pH monitor...

DrMerle

I am sure you are calibrating correctly. In the beginning I had found I was not letting it sit in the calibration fluid long enough-I would place the probe in the solution and make the adjustment right away-I realized later that was not working.

I ended up letting it sit in the fluid a good 25 minutes before making any adjustments. I had thought my fluid was bad/old or the probe was bad, all along it was me not letting it sit long enough.

After that everything has worked fine.

I understand all the things you listed can go wrong-Fortunately we know what our tanks look like and sense with something is not right-

Milwaukie is a great line I am told

I'll cross my fingers mine hangs in there

ooooo...700 is pretty high. I only use salifert kits. I have had a great run with this last ph probe as its been over a year since it was replaced. Although I have not checked its calibration it seems to work for my reactor effluent monitering just fine. I should probably be testing it soon.

I really dont see why someone would need a cal moniter. Just get the cal level where you want it and adjust the cal reactor to keep the alk level at 10 then check your mag and make sure its up to 1350 and the cal should stay put where you left it. If you have a big enough cal reactor and have the proper water flow through it with enough bubble count to make the media work....you should be ok for up to 2 to 3 weeks without testing anything. Thats what I do. Then everything gets looked at and tested for near my 20% water change time every 3 weeks or 4 weeks.

Jay

I use Salifert.

I use the Marine Pinpoint PH Controller with my Ca reactor and it keeps my KH right at 11.2 and Ca right at 470.

I test it weekly out of habit but it is always exactly the same values as above. I see you have a Ca Reactor, add the PH Controller and eliminate the need to drip Kalk and your KH and Ca will ALWAYS be at the values you determine.

Set it and forget it.

I use a Pinpoint PH monitor in the sump so I can see at a glance where the PH is.

I here Milwaukie is a more consistant line than MP

What he says is true. I do still drip lime water just to raise the ph and make the corals happy and expand way out. Plus it can help reduce phosphate.

Jay