ID Help-had some trouble

Byrd

The 1st pic is not the best and this coral is normally light green. I noticed today that the 2nd photo had grown out to where it was touching the mystery acro. Well enough said, it has really put the hurts to the acro.

The 2nd is a rock encrusting and is similar to the Hydno's external polyp type "feelers" Heck I don't know what to call them.

Any help is appreciated-if anyone has any idea of what I might expect in trade value the 2nd one has been served eviction papers

P1100135.jpg

P1100138.jpg

Thanks in advance

second is a encrusting hydro. Just another type... first looks not good' date=' better just bring it to me;)[/quote']

Hydno-Hydro what ever-What an idiot I am. Man I gave my branching Hydno away before it became an issue-I did not realize the bat rastards came in rock encrusting-

Any idea on how much I need to pay someone to take it-LOL

Do you think its worth 25.00 bucks? I paid 28.00 from OIAB and it has doubled in size???

Hydno(flame)(flame)

Still need help on the first-its staying

I don't know if there's anything ya can do really. Some times when the tissue gets striped off the skeleton it will continue on it's own till gone. If it were me I think I would frag it. Cut off all the good limbs and put them all on the same plug. then maybe just keep the base with whatever is left in your tank just in case it decides to continue growing. Best of luck, it looks like a very nice piece.

1st pic is A. Horrida.

2nd could be Hydnophora but I'm not sure yet. You got another pic of it?

I cant get photobucket to upload. I googled "Hydnophora" and saw one at live aquaria they were calling a horn coral-looks the same and is a Hydnophora.

I had a Hydno in the past but it may have been a different strain-it did not encrust like this one,

Here is the other I had

P1070089.jpg

Thanks for the ID

I can't believe I replaced what I had-(nutty)

I wouldn't frag your other piece unless you want to. usually recession will keep going but that looks more like a sting so it may be done' date=' and still have a chance to heal a little too. As long as polyps are still out you are looking okay.[/quote']

I was not fragging it. It is on the base and if it dies off I dont think it will continue. I caught it early. The reason is its so faded is how it was mounted in the tank-its only the bottom right corner that is effected the lack of color is because it was shaded-the othersides color is fine.

Thanks

Hey want a hydno anybody-PM's accepted-:D

Identifying corals can be very difficult sometimes. I met John Veron several years ago, and from what he had to say I realized that there was a great deal more to coral ID than can always be accomplished by just looking at them.

Here is an article by Dana Riddle with reference to Dr. Veron.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/pdf/Advanced-Aquarist-Sample-Article.pdf

Identifying corals can be very difficult sometimes. I met John Veron several years ago, and from what he had to say I realized that there was a great deal more to coral ID than can always be accomplished by just looking at them.

Here is an article by Dana Riddle with reference to Dr. Veron.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/pdf/Advanced-Aquarist-Sample-Article.pdf

Agreed on the ID part-thanks for the link!

Thats definitely Hydnophora.

Your 2nd pic most likely is Hydnophora but I just want a better shot of it. Did you get it @ SWF?

It was purchased from OIAB but the pic of it when I was bidding had all the "nubs" if I can call them that somewhat purple so it did not look like a Hydno-

Plus it was being sold as a Monti-(flame)

I got one like that also from OIAB. He called it a montipora. I have mine on a frag rack near a bunch of other corals. I should move it before it becomes a problem.

dsoz

Yes the auction I had won had it also listed as a Monti, plus the photo had the purple as I explained above-(flame)

Odd, I have never seen purple in it-maybe something to do during the uploading process-(threaten)

Not a monti people-Hmm misrepresented and I dont know better, figured the seller knew what he was selling-(flame)

Did I mention-(flame)(flame)(flame)(flame)(flame)

Too bad on that buy. I've seen Perry list his stock and since he has so much - sometimes the wrong pix get's put on.

Just like this auction on now, he had that green nem the first coral on his list and the same pix on another coral on the next page under a different name and someone put a bid on it. DOH!

He's since changed it.

Maybe you can find a "new" reefer to buy it j/k (laugh) (laugh)