Joe's 300 Gallon Build

blown65

K, some plumbing :) Got the returns done also, didnt get pictures yet of that. Tried to keep it easy if I want to change to a single pump down the road I can with the two unions on the suction and discharge. More than likely I'm only going to run two of the three pumps, and keep on on standby if one of the others has issues. I plan on adding two Korlia 8's in the tank on a controller for a wavemaker, should give me plenty of water flow thru the tank.

Don't mind those short pieces of hose above the glued spaflex. I just wanted to keep any stress off the joints while drying, that stuff is pretty [language filter] stiff. It should form to the route anyways once in place over night anyways.

leftplumb.jpg

rightplumb.jpg

Gotta pick up some glass for the sump and make baffles and silicone those in tomorrow. Then run the little plumbing for the sump and pump there. Close to a water test. (clap)

how big are those pumps? gph?

They say 1750GPH each. Effective should be around 1200-1400 each though with friction loss figured in. They came with the tank, so its better than buying a new pump, I'll just use them for now and put a couple Korilia #8's in the tank, they do about 3000-3500gph with way less electrical useage.

Very nice looking tank. How for do you think you are from putting water in it?

Maybe tomorrow, but more than likely tue. Wont take long to fill, I have 300 gallons of RO water in a tank that I use to wash my cars.

Decided to make a drainpan for under the pumps. That way if I gotta remove one it has a place to drain and either soak it up or let it just evap away. Paint is drying right now. :)

Got the eggcrate in the bottom for under the rocks, so maybe if the paint is good and dry on the pan I can test for leaks tonight since thats where I'm at now. If alls good its ready for sand/water thu or fri.

k, so worked on it tonight some more. Was waiting on some nondrying silicone grease for the plastic unions, forgot to grab some the other night, so waited one more day. Helps with the plastic binding. I have some release silicone grease coming that is actually better for that purpose but this still worked fine.

Eggcrate in with 210lbs of sand dunes. lol

sanddunes.jpg

Started filling the tank, after filling just the overflows and checking for leaks, none to be found so good to go.

startedfilling.jpg

Tank full and my crazy cat that loves water checking it out.

fullwater.jpg

Just gotta wait for it to get to temperature, just going to let it come up with the room some, all I have is a 400w heater and that would probably take forever. My RO water tank that I used to fill it is outside, so its pretty cold water. oh well.

Maybe next week start moving stuff once the temp is up.

8:45pm 10-22-09 62 degrees. lol

Looks very nice. I like the location and the way it is 2 side viewable. You will like the koralia 8's. I had one in my 200g and it was too much flow. It is extremely powerful and can travel a long distance. I went with a MP40w and it is broader, and less powerful. I think for your application the koralia mag 8's will be hands down better than even a vortech.

• 3 weeks later...

Still kinda going thru a little cycle, but seems to be pretty close to done with that. Got kinda ugly for a bit. One coral probably wont make it, but the rest are starting to get some coloring back now.

tank.jpg

My Naso tang I just bought a week ago or so is probably on his last legs. No matter what I feed he really seems uninterested in it. Kinda eats a little bit of brine shrimp but its very limited and definitely not enough to keep him going. The rest of the fish have been loving it though since they get fed more often than usual.

Soak your frozen food with some garlic. Should help stimulate appetites.

Do you feed nori/seaweed?

Leave it in there all the time as tangs are grazers. Maybe while the house is quiet he will nibble at it.

Good Luck!!

Ya, was doing all those things. He is a goner this morning.